Chapter 7 On the run

"We're almost there,” Romana said with exhaustion in her voice. Neither Kelsey nor I responded. I couldn't fathom the Lights. Fatigue, thirst, and hunger started to creep into my thoughts.

I reached into my back pocket to see what time my phone said it was. I clicked the unlock button and the screen read "4:17". We left the house right at eleven o'clock. We had been wandering for six hours.

"It's been six hours. We have to be close." I told them. "We are. Just a little longer." Ramona stopped again in her tracks and opened her phone to answer it. It was dad.

"Where are you three!?" I heard him yell over the other end of the phone. "We're still walking, we should be there soon I promise." "Where are you??" He repeated still yelling "We're heading north through the desert, we're almost at the edge about another mile." Ramona responded. "You girls need to run. And I mean run. Your mother and I have discovered something but we can't leave to come and get you. Are the three of you together? Are you alright?" He asked with worry seeping through his words. "We're okay, see you soon." "I love all of you." "We love you too Dad."

She hung up the phone and we began to run. I was panting like a dog within the first few minutes. I felt weak and tired but we had to keep moving. I was staring at the ground to see where I was going for so long that I didn't see Ramona stop and I ran right into her and we toppled onto the desert floor.

"Ramona! I-". She put her hand over my mouth to shush me. I looked around but saw nothing. "Where's Kel-" I began, but she forced her hand harder against my mouth. I began to grow more afraid. Where is Kelsey!? I thought to myself. I couldn't see anything but the outline of Ramona. And why were we just on the floor?? We needed to get moving.

Ramona removed her hand away from my mouth and put her finger to her lips. Silently telling me to keep quiet. "Kelsey..." She whispered. There was a long pause. Then we heard shuffling on the floor. My heart beat faster and faster. I wasn't positive that it was my sister so I began to panic. "I'm right here." Kelsey whispered back. I felt my whole body relax. She slowly joined our group.

"Okay. You two need to explain. What is going on!?" I whispered. "Look. There." There was a faint clicking sound... And then. I saw it. Another florescent blue light. But this time there was no need to take shape, because it already had. It was just standing there. Right in our way, right where we needed to pass through. It seemed to be just as tall as the other one but it was standing there. I assumed the clicking sound was coming from it, whatever it was.

"What do we do?!" Kelsey asked. I felt as if I might vomit. The dehydration and fright was beginning to overpower my body. I sat down instead of kneel like my sisters were. In doing so there was a loud snap of a tree branch beneath me.

Crap. My sisters whipped their head around to me, then back at the light. It was now facing us. "What have you done?" Ramona said still whispering. I felt her hand shove me on the ground to get down so maybe the thing couldn't see us.

In doing so, I hit my head hard on the ground and everything started to go fuzzy. They too then flung themselves on their stomachs. My head began to ache with every pulse of my heart. I felt half conscience of what was going on around me.

I didn't know the world could get any darker until this moment. My eyes began to close, with out my control. The world slowly began to fade into a dream.