Chapter 8 Site B

I dreamt I was at home, sitting outside by my pool with my family inside. I heard each and every sound, made by the water, the birds, and even my own heart beat. I let my thoughts wander away into the darkness of sleep, when really I was awakening from my perfect dream.

"Grace?" The voice said. I thought I was still dreaming. "Grace can you hear me?" It was Josh. I opened my eyes slightly to see him. He had a look of concern and worry on his face. "Josh" I said weakly. A smile spread across his lips. I turned my head to see the edge of the cot of which I was placed. This notion took me right back to reality.

"Where are Ramona and Kelsey?! Where are my parents!? Are they all right?! What happened!? How did I get here?!" I tried to sit up, but my head felt too heavy. "Whoa whoa. It's okay, everyone is fine. Your sisters are with your parents upstairs. They're all safe. They wanted you to get some rest. You hit your head pretty hard Grace. Do you remember what happened?" "Only a little," I began "I remember seeing another light, then I it looked at us, then everything went black." “Your sister’s were a lot more elaborate than that I’m afraid…” Josh said looking back up at me. “What did they tell you?” “Well they said that-“ he was cut off by the sound of my sister Kelsey yelling my name as she ran towards Josh and I.

“Grace! Thank goodness you’re all right. Everyone has been so worried” she said as she embraced me. “Where are mom and dad?” I asked. “They’re up-stairs with Ramona, they have a lot of news. Are you up to walking up the stairs? Is your head all right?” “Yeah I’m fine, lets go.”

I felt completely drained and fatigued but I needed to see my parents, and hear whatever news they had to share. “Grace are you sure you’re okay? You look really sick, maybe you should stay-“ “Josh I’m fine, I need to see my family. I’ll be back soon all right? Just stay here” “I’ll be waiting.” He said simply.

Kelsey had to help me off of my cot and hold one of my arms as I took each stair one by one. My head felt heavier and heavier by the moment.

I finally stopped and said “Kelsey… I need water, please my head…” I felt my eyes begin to close again and I felt my body begin to grow numb, my head was pounding and all I wanted was to lie down. “Mom! Dad! Please! Someone come help!!” Kelsey screamed. I felt her hands under my head as she moved my head into her lap; she began to scream and cry for my mother and father, knowing she couldn’t leave me on the floor. “Grace!” I heard my mother shout. “Mom, Dad I didn’t mean to, she said she was all right and that she just wanted to see you guys and then she started to collapse and she said that she just wanted some water!” Kelsey wailed in between sobs. “Ramona, go get your sister some water, see if there is any type of pain killer as well.”

Ramona took off in a sprint down stairs as my father began to pick me up in his arms. “Grace honey, you have to stay awake. Please, just try. Your mother and I are right here. Just keep your eyes open, water will be here soon. Hang in there sweetie." Oh how I longed to hear my father’s soothing voice, and to be in his arms like when I was little. The sound of his voice made me want to sleep even more.

“Dad, here” Ramona said as she handed my father a tall glass of water and what looked like Advil. “Here sweet heart, drink this, it will make you feel much better.”

My dad sat me up on his knee and I began to choke down the water. I had never imagined water tasting so good. “Here, take these, I hope they work.” My dad then handed me the two small pills and I swallowed them with another huge gulp of water. “Thank you guys” I began slowly. 

“I’m so sorry I pushed you down Grace.” Ramona said softly as she began to kneel by my father’s side. “It just was out of instinct. I’m really sorry I caused all of this.” Ramona then reached over and began to rub my hair gently.

I chuckled, “Ramona it’s not like you meant for all of this happen. Don’t worry about it, really I’ll get over it.” I said as I tried my best to smile.

“So what happened after I went out?” I began. “Well-“ Kelsey started to explain but my mother cut her off “Not here she said. “Dave, why don’t we take the girls up to the lab and we can explain everything to Grace there.” “Excellent idea Margret.” My father said.

“Okay Grace I’m going to stand up so just hold on to me okay?” “Okay” I responded weakly. My father then stood up as slowly as he could and I thanked him for that, my head was still swimming but I wanted to know everything that I had missed.

My family and I walked up the stairs and into their lab where a few other scientists were. “Umm can you please excuse us?” My mother said. “We’ll be done shortly” “Of course Dr. Attanasio.” They all said in unison.

“Well you guys are popular” I said, “Even though you most likely have a concussion, you still have all that sarcasm.” My mother said with a smirk spreading across her face “She gets it from you” my father said. We all began to laugh quietly, it had been a long time since I had heard my whole family laugh together; I forgot how much I missed it.

“So this is Site B?” I more stated then asked. “Indeed it is” my family said.