Chapter 17 The Dream

My mother was standing over me.

How was that possible!?

I shot up from my cot and yelled, “Mom!”

She shouted something I couldn’t understand as she covered her ears. Her eyes then transformed into the darkest eyes I have ever seen only once before.

Her skin started to decay and peel off around her face.

As her skin hit the floor in giant chunks, it made a slapping sound. I could feel vomit start to rise in my throat and I tried to scream, but nothing would come.

I tried to move, but I was paralyzed.

Her teeth began to grow and sharpen, she grew taller, and the blue florescent light enveloped her entire body.

Her face contorted as mine did in horror. I tried harder to scream again and again but was not successful as well as simultaneously throwing my legs over my cot.  

She took complete shape into an Unknown and stared at me with her giant black eyes.

I ran towards the door but it disappeared just as I grabbed the knob.

The room started to enclose and I was now cornered; she hovered slowly over to me as her mouth opened to expose her long teeth.

My arms grew limp therefore having no way to defend myself.

She leaned down beside me, during this time my muscles started to contract sending me into a twitching like motion, but I couldn’t see my body moving what so ever.

My thoughts then disappeared. My brain was completely void, and in another instant I was consumed by the blackness of her eyes.

***

I hit the concrete ground hard. Shooting a painful sensation through my temples.

I was drenched in my own sweat and heaved heavily to get as much air into my lungs as I possibly could. My hair was twisted and knotted everywhere, making me realize I had been struggling in my sleep. I was embarrassed just at the thought that someone could’ve heard or seen me.

I looked up at the windows across the wall, but no light shone through them yet.

Great. Now how am I going to go back to sleep?

I reached for the edge of my cot and pulled myself up onto it where I rested my head back down onto my pillow, but every time I closed my eyes, I saw the most appalling image of my mother’s face.

I started to gag at the thought, bringing me back to reality of the pain in my head. My thoughts trailed back to the night of which I slammed my head on the desert floor, and I wondered if I had ever fully recovered from that.