Fourteen

Song: Eyes, Nose, Lips- TAEYANG

The night at Landon's had been more comforting than most nights I spent at home by myself. He didn't pester me to tell him the situation, he didn't judge me or question me; he just comforted. And he didn't make it extremely obvious that he was trying to comfort me either. Landon showed his care in subtle ways-- making sure I was comfortable, adjusting the intensity of the fan, never leaving my side, and then even sleeping on the other couch that night so I wasn't alone.

Something had shifted between us, and I knew we both could feel it. It was as if everything that happened-- our kiss, Aleck avoiding me, the night in the prison cell, the fight between my mother and I-- were supposed to happen so Landon and I would cross paths again. I never believed in fate, but there was something coincidental about the way I always ended up around Landon every time something happened.

When I awoke the next morning, I was greeted by the wonderful aroma of pancakes and syrup. It had been a long time since I had smelled breakfast being cooked when I woke up. The last time I had breakfast with my family was before mom screwed up and dad left. Of course, I could've went with dad and woke up every morning to breakfast, but mom made me stay with her. She insisted it was because I needed to finish school where I started it, that it would've been too hard for me to transfer to a new school with new people, but as I grew older, I realized her motives were different. I was simply a piece in her game of politics. The only time she needed me was when she needed to campaign herself. There were times where I almost ran away to live with my dad, but I kept telling myself that one day, my mother would need me as her daughter-- not as some advantage for her campaigns.

It was funny how I always gave the wrong people the benefit of the doubt.

Hoisting myself off the lounger, I trudged to the kitchen, wiping the sleepers out of my eyes. Landon was standing in front of the stove, clad in a navy blue t-shirt and black shorts, flipping pancakes like he was a natural. The radio attached to the cabinet beside the stove was playing nineties songs, and Landon's head was bobbing along to the music. I sat down at the kitchen table, and Landon glanced over his shoulder, shooting me a small smile.

"Morning, sleepy head. Did you sleep alright?"

I stretched, yawning. "I did. Thanks."

He nodded, flipping another pancake. For a couple minutes, things between us were silent, but then he finished the pancakes, turned the burner off, and placed them on a plate. He stacked two on another plate and sat them in front of me, and then he put two more on another plate, setting it down across from me. After Landon grabbed us each a drink, he sat down in front of me, pouring syrup all over his pancakes. I followed suit, and after we were both satisfied, we started eating.

"I feel bad." I suddenly said, and Landon glanced at me, raising his eyebrows. "I just showed up at your house last night without an explanation. You at least deserve that."

Landon shook his head. "It's not a big deal, Kara. You know you can come here anytime you need to."

I sighed. "I know. But I feel like I need to explain myself."

"I don't think you necessarily need to explain yourself. I think you just want to talk about what's on your mind, but you don't want to say that directly."

"This is why you're the tutor."

Landon chuckled, taking a sip of his drink, before setting it down and looking at me. "You can talk to me, Kara. I won't judge you."

Sighing, I placed my fork on my plate and clasped my heads together, looking away from Landon. "Aleck's been avoiding me because of the party. And then after my mother bailed me out from jail, she took me home only to yell at me. It was the worst fight we ever had, Landon. It was so bad that I can't even go back home now."