Nine

Song: Who Do You Love- 5 Seconds of Summer

"Kara, honey, why don't we spend the day together? It's my only day off."

Well, that shook me completely.

I squinted up at my mother, who was hovering over me as I lazily laid on the couch, remote in one hand, other hand stuffed deep in a bag of white cheddar popcorn. It was the first day in a long time the group didn't have plans, and didn't make moves to make plans, and I was taking full advantage of just chilling out relaxing as I watched reruns of Friends on TV. And to make things better, the episode I was currently watching was when Rachel and Phoebe caught Chandler and Monica beginning the dirty deed, and then tried to hide it from Ross who had walked in behind them. A classic, if you asked me.

"It's my only day off as well, mother."

Mom rolled her eyes, placing her hands on her hips, assuming her typical prissy politician stance. "You don't work, Kara, and if you're talking about sleazing around with that group of yours, I would hardly call that a hard day of work, but rather a day spent in jail rotting away."

"I just so happen to like rotting away in a jail cell with my group. It's rather enlightening."

I found it hilarious, but the woman just wasn't having it. "I expect you to be ready in five minutes. And don't wear your usual attire, please. I don't want to be embarrassed in public.

Ah, mother. Always so courteous.

With much regret boiling in me, I reluctantly stood, trudged to my room to change, and walked back out to the kitchen where mom was sipping her everyday bland iced mocha. When her eyes roamed over my outfit-- light denim jeans and a mint green v-neck, completely different from my normal attire-- she still shot me a look of disapproval.

The woman could not be pleased.

Without a word, we walked out to her car, and she took us to a high end diner at the end of town, near the rich neighborhood. Most people wonder why we don't live in that part of town, seeing as mom is rich because of being a politician and numerous sugar daddies, and honestly, not even I knew the answer to that. I knew for a fact our house held no value to mom, and that she would much rather live in one of those big, pretentious mansions, so I had finally come to the conclusion that the only reason we didn't live in that neighborhood was because of me. I mean, for God's sake, mom was embarrassed to be seen in public with me and for people to even recognize me as her daughter. I could only imagine the embarrassment she would feel when I walked out of the house in my everyday clothes, compared to the kids in that neighborhood who came out in their stupid little school girl uniforms.

Once a hostess seated mom and I, we immediately began silently looking through the menu. As usual, the tension between my mother and I was thin enough to be cut with a knife, but hey, I had little to no care about it. She could easily fix our problem. but the only thing she concerned herself about was her politics and boyfriends of the week.

After the waiter came back and took our order, mom clasped her hands together, sitting as if she had a rod in her back. "So, Kara, I brought you out to discuss important matters with you."

"Let me guess. You're leaving for the week?"

"No. That's next week."

"Huh. You're going to lecture me on my horrid clothing choices?"

"No, but on the contrary, you do need to throw all those clothes out. They just aren't acceptable for a politician's daughter."

"Well. Ooh, wait. I know! You have a new boyfriend of the week!"