Chapter 1 Part 2

As they entered the bay, Vicky's heart began to beat against her ribs. Home. As their steamboat passed the fort the cannons boomed in a salute.

"Henry's in good form." Quin commented.

"Naw. He's just glad we're back. When you get back to duty, he can go home to Penelope."

"Still, it's good to be home." He slipped an arm around her waist and they stopped their stroll to stand at the rail and watch the docks come to view.

"Do you think they've grown much?" Vicky asked as she leaned into him.

"We've only been gone a month." He chuckled as he kissed her temple.

He didn't want to admit he'd wondered the same. He'd wondered if they missed him, if they would be at the docks to greet them, and if...

"Look!" Vicky exclaimed pointing.

Red, Gibson and Nanny stood at the docs. The boys held the twins up on their shoulders. He looked down to find Vicky smiling proudly up at him. He squeezed her to him and felt love warming his heart. His family was waiting.

When at last it was their turn to disembark they looked around for their family. They'd not taken ten steps on the docs when two little bodies hurdled at their legs and clamped down on their knees. Completely unprepared for the assault Vicky's arms wildly whipped out grasping for purchase. All she found was air, and the solid wall of Quin's chest.

Quin tried to stand. Ida Rose gripped his knees so he was unable to step back and he was struggling precariously with his balance. Suddenly Vicky's arm flung out and pounded him in the chest. It was enough that he lost the struggle and toppled over backward. He heard Vicky squeal as she toppled followed by the exuberant giggles of two precocious toddlers.

Vicky hit hard and for a moment breathing was impossible. After a moment she still struggled until she realized the reason she couldn't breathe. Kelley sat on her stomach straddling her like a horse. He was leaning forward and his little hands were pressing her cheeks.

"Mama!" He exclaimed before he planted a big sloppy baby kiss on her face.

Vicky laughed and wrapped her arms around him. She rolled to the right and found herself face to face with Quin and Ida Rose.

"It seems we walked into an Ambush." He chuckled.

"It would seem so, Major. What are your orders, Sir?" she winked.

"I think we should go on the offensive before they have a chance to retreat." He winked back.

Suddenly the children were writhing and squealing hysterically laughing while their parents tickled them. Reuben appeared with Red, Gibson, and Nanny. Everyone except Nanny seemed to be thoroughly amused by the sight of the major and his wife rolling around on the docks laughing with their children.

"Sir?" Gibson finally cleared his throat.

Quin's laughter died on a sigh. Father and husband needed to give way to major. He set Kelly aside and got to his feet before helping Vicky. The children would not be set aside, however and insisted on being held and he gladly obliged scooping Ida Rose up and holding her on his arm.

"We have a carriage for the family, sir." Red announced.

"And we've brought Jonah along for you, sir. The colonel requested you report immediately."

"Yes, so his letter said." Quin reached out and Vicky slipped her free hand into his. "Lead the way to the carriage."

He was really tempted to dally with his family, but the sooner he reported, the sooner he would be able to get back to them. Nanny was seated on the carriage. Reuben climbed up in back. Quin handed up Ida Rose and took Kelley from Vicky. Once Reuben had the babies in the back, he turned to Vicky, taking her hands in his.