Chapter 24

Turning to look out the window he repressed a sigh. With so many returning from war and settling back into their lives, he was just starting out.

He looked at Laureli again from the corner of his eye and wondered if someone like her would ever consider waiting...With a shake of his head he dismissed the thought and stared out the window as he turned his thoughts toward his plans for starting his own place in the Texas Panhandle.

---

Vicky growled in frustration and tucked her long braid in the collar of her dress to keep it from falling into her work as she knelt in the garden. Before long the spring winds tugged strands loose and they tickled at her cheeks and lips. Annoyed she swiped at the hair to tuck it behind her ear and sighed as she sat back on her heels to rest a moment.

A soft baritone chuckle drew her eyes to where Bo worked to her left. He stood with is foot resting on the shovel spade and his palms stacked on the end of the handle...and he was laughing at her.

"What?" she asked, already annoyed.

"Your face." He laughed.

"What?" She didn't understand what he said through his laughter.

He pointed to his cheek and laughed louder.

"Oh." She shrugged and removed her gloves (some of Quin's old gloves she used for gardening) and tried to wipe the dirt from her cheek.

"You wouldn't win any blue ribbons either." She groused.

Still chuckling he sank the spade deep and crossed to kneel next to her as he pulled a kerchief from his pocket to wipe the dirt smeared on her cheek.

"Well, I suppose since we're planting the spring gardens we should make allowances."

Feeling a bit like a surly child she pushed his hand away and tossed her dirty glove at his face.

"Ma! Ma!" Ida Rose shrieked.

"Uncle Bo!" Kelley hollered.

All silliness forgotten, the two scrambled to their feet and hurried toward the front of the house. Two small bodies collided with their legs as they rounded the corner.

"Somebody's coming." Kelley said pointing back toward the road.

Vicky and Bo exchanged a look and scooped up the children. Bo vaulted the rail and landed on the porch where he quickly disappeared inside. He reappeared a moment later with a rifle in one hand and Kelley still clinging to his hip. Vicky met him at the top of the porch steps with Ida Rose on her hip.

Together they watched as one of the hands rode out to the gate with his rifle resting on his thigh pointed to the sky. The visitors were put on warning: Be on your best behavior.

Vicky's hand slipped into her pocket and curled around her pistol from long standing habit. The dust trail rising up was following a small buggy pulled by a single horse. It was driven by a man in a cowboy hat. A woman and a child rode on the seat next to him. Vicky suppressed a groan. The last time such visitors arrived she'd had the PLEASURE of Janelle's company for several weeks.

Her lips pulled into a frown as she remembered all those DELIGHTFUL moments. Their visitors stopped at the gate and a few words were exchanged before the gate was opened. Vicky watched as the driver lifted his hat and waved it in greeting. She stared a moment searching for recognition before she lifted her skirts and ran out to meet them.

"ZEKE!" she called waving as she paused to set Ida Rose down.

She looked at her daughter and wondered when she'd gotten so big. Looking back up, her face lit with joy. Zeke was home and he brought his young family to meet them! Her happiness was tempered by the thought that Penelope could not be here to meet them.