Chapter 19 part 1

"Why not?" Vicky's eyes got wide as she doubled over.

"It will go easier if you move about. Change into this," she held out a nightdress she'd drawn from the chest of drawers, "Walk about. It will help hurry the baby."

"But what if..."

"Just get changed." Katie scolded, "I'll be right back."

Katie closed the door behind her and hurried to the kitchen.

"Cato."

"Yes Ma'am."

"I want you to go into the nursery. If they wake up I need you to keep them there and try to keep them calm."

Katie chuckled as he blew out a heavy sigh and let his shoulders sag. That was one less worry. One more male out from under foot and the children were taken care of if they should wake up. If only she could find a chore to send Louie off on. With a sigh she rolled up her sleeves and headed back to Vicky. It was going to be a long night.

---

"Will!" Bo ran to catch up to the hand that was already mounted and heading for the gate. "Where are you off to?"

"Shorty said they boys would leave a man camped at the trail where it turns off to the canyon they're working. They want to be here for the Missus."

"Mighty good of them. With the major still gone, I reckon the missus will need all the love we can give her to keep her from feeling so sad from missing him. Especially now since she was really hoping he'd be here. I'm off to fetch Ms. Ruthie from town. Ride careful. It's a dark night with the clouds so thick."

"Will do Boss."

"I'm not the boss, I've told you..."

"Louie says you're kin. Kin of the boss makes you more than just a hand like me and the boys no matter what you say." He laughed as he turned mount and kicked heel.

Bo shook his head as he went to get his horse. He'd skip the saddle as he wanted to feel his mount when they went through the pass. The road and main trail were fairly solid but as he told Will it was a dark night...and he intended to ride careful.

---

Quinton pushed on through the night. Sleep tugged at him but he pushed it away. He was worried about Vicky. Only yesterday they received orders to accept the Navajo surrender on July 20th. Carson ordered Quin home with his regards and instructions to report to Ft. Canby in time to accept the surrender.

He hoped nothing had gone wrong. He wanted to head home in June but it didn't happen. He'd spent so much time in the saddle the last six weeks he damn-near forgot how to walk. He felt badly that he hadn't been able to write but he couldn't manage it from the saddle and he couldn't have sent it even if he had managed to write it.

He worried about Vicky. He hoped his wife and new child were alright. It broke his heart every time he thought of not being there. Still...He wanted to roar in frustration but that would be as foolish as sleeping in the saddle. He was a soldier riding alone in Indian country which made him a coveted target. His tunic, his hat, his patches, his scalp...Jonah and the coup to count...

He shrugged off that line of thought and looked at the sky. At least the clouds covered the stars. If he rode all night and could stay awake he'd be home by lunch tomorrow. A few minutes later he jerked his chin up and swore. He had to stop. It was better to delay arriving home by a few hours than to risk not making it home at all.

He left Jonah saddled and ground-tethered him near a copse of trees. He leaned against the trunk and stood Jonah next to him. Tucking his rifle against his chest he pulled his cloak around him. Jonah would alert him if they had company and his rifle was loaded. He'd nap a few hours and then push for home. He let that thought warm him as exhaustion overtook him.