Chapter 20 part 1

"Has anything been proven yet?"

"Barkley immediately confined a few of the men and wrote them up on disciplinary charges. Some of them are claiming Barkley ordered the killing and then ordered fraudulent reports to cover the misdeed. I've released all of the men except the shooter and have him and Barkley confined pending a court martial hearing. This is an outrage!"

"Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Go ahead, Major."

"It seems that these men are intent on undermining the credibility of the United States Cavalry. Falsifying reports? Murder? And violating the truce of white flag parlay? It's no wonder the Navajo mistrust our promises of good treatment if they surrender peaceably. The way these messengers are being treated...it's no surprise they aren't camped around to surrender."

"Barkley and his minion have managed to drag this war out for weeks. Hell, probably months. The July 20th deadline is three days from now and I don't' figure anyone will show up after this."

Quin sat quietly pondering the situation. Obviously there were conflicting reports. But it was simply too convenient for an elderly Navajo man to be shot attempting to escape. It was harder to believe that Major Barkley had ordered it though. The truth was no doubt hidden somewhere in the middle but he leaned toward the Major.

It would be an easy thing for the Barkley to drop a hint here and there about how grateful he'd be if a certain problem were taken care of post haste. He wouldn't have to issue an order and there was enough hatred, fear, and greed to make the deed 'justifiable' to a man of lesser morals. Maybe too much drink and a twisted desire to please the major...

Quin knew from experience that the Indian peoples were strong and maintained their vitality well into their late years. Perhaps the old man really did try to escape, although he failed to see how that would warrant a bullet in the back. He shook his head. Most likely they'd never know what really happened but now they had to deal with the consequences.

He and the colonel had seen more than their fair share of drunk or disorderly conduct. The men simply didn't care anymore. Some of the posts were little more than tents and the rations were meager as the paychecks. Men deserted daily and it was difficult to maintain discipline. So far he'd worked with good men. At any rate the discussion was over.

"There will be no further discussion of this on the post. I want everyone in the here and now. I have sent my report to General Carlton and we will hear back from him in a few days' time. Now then, I want the sentries on the wall doubled and any visitors will be brought directly to me. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir." Quin answered. "Private, please pass the word along to the officer of the day."

"Yes sir." The young sentry answered as he saluted and ducked out.

Quin turned to go when Carlson stopped him.

"Hold up Major. I want to show you something."

"I heard you got a dispatch from Carleton today."

"Sit down." Carson waived to a stool with the coffee cup in his hand. With the other he reached for the pot. "Coffee?"

"Thank you sir."

"No 'sir'." Carson smiled as he handed the coffee over. "When formality doesn't require otherwise, please call me Kit."

"In return, please call me Quinton."

"Not Quin?"

"I don't mind Quin." He chuckled. "But until my second wife started calling me Quin, no one else had ever thought to."