Chapter 9 part 2

She didn't have far to go. Quin must have been watching for her because he met her at the bottom of the porch steps.

"How's Matthews?"

"He'll be alright. Nothing broken and he won't need stitches."

"But..."

"Did he tell you how it happened?"

"No."

"Kelley ran around the corner and almost got a hammer in his skull. Matthews chucked the hammer and caught him. Reuben came around the corner chasing Kelley and crashed into Matthews. When he fell he kicked the sawhorse from under the door he was working on. He pushed the boys away but smashed his hand in the process."

A heavily burdened sigh was the only reaction she could see beyond the tensing of his shoulders because his hat shielded his face as he looked down just then.

"I'll have to take the boys out behind the woodshed. I warned them about getting into mischief."

"While I agree Kelley needs a willow switch, I'm not so sure that will solve our problem."

Quin shuffled his feet and pushed his hat up on his brow so he could meet her eyes as he waited for her to finish. It was clear she'd worked up a good head of steam so it wouldn't be prudent to try to derail her just yet.

"What if it had been worse?" Curling her fingers into fists she tried to channel her worry. "What if Matthews hadn't had enough time to ..."

"It's not wise to borrow trouble, love." Quin whispered as he rested his hand on her shoulder.

"I know but it frightens me."

"I imagine Esther would be of help. I could go to town tomorrow and see if she'll watch the children for a few days until we get this place fixed up. It will give her a chance to spoil them and it will keep them from getting underfoot."

"Let me. I need a few supplies if I can find them and I need a new broom."

He studied her face a moment before acquiescing with a nod.

---

The next morning Vicky lifted the babies to the back of the wagon. She climbed into the seat and as they rumbled toward town she cast a look at her escort, Private Matthews. This morning when she was checking his badly bruised hand she was pleased to see the swelling had gone down.

His injury made him the perfect candidate for escorting her and the children today since he would be precious little help around the ranch with an injured hand. As Matthews pulled the wagon to a stop in front of the general store, Vicky scanned the street and its occupants. Private Matthews jumped down and stood ready to help her.

"Thank you, Mr. Matthews." Smiling her thanks she walked to the back where the children were waiting anxiously.

"Out! Mama Out!" Ida Rose chanted with a grin.

Before Vicky could react, Matthews lifted the little girl out and handed her over to Vicky.

"Out Mama." Kelley requested, much more sedately than his sister.

Matthews lifted the child out and settled the young boy on his arm.

"Ow-ee" Kelley frowned pointing to Matthews's bandaged hand.

"Yup." Matthews smiled reassuringly as he held up the injured hand. "But your mama made it all better."

Kelley gently grabbed the hand gently in both of his and pulled it to his mouth planting a kiss.