Chapter 6 Part 2

"I remember how when you did the laundry you always did the mending. Well, maybe you could do some of the mending for the boys while you're laid up? I can also talk to Ruth and see if maybe any of the children could use a little extra help with their lessons. I know there's more than one of my boys that can't read."

She stopped chewing, once more stunned by the thoughtfulness of his words. She swallowed and nearly choked before she chased it down with a long drink of milk. Her eyes were watering but not from the throat tickle. Her husband was a delightfully lovable paradox. Brave and true as any soldier, tough as a leather strap, and yet his heart was gentle, kind and generous.

"Thank you." She said.

Touched by her watery eyes and the sincerity of those two words he leaned forward and kissed her. Her lips were warm and tasted of apples and cinnamon. He started to pull away but wanted more. He kissed her again lingering over the softness of her lips. Her whimper was nearly his undoing. Reluctantly he pulled away before he deepened the kiss and took what she gave so sweetly.

"I need to get cleaned up and then I'll bring up some supper?"

She blinked and felt the blush burn her skin. She didn't really care though. She wished he would kiss her again. Her body fairly hummed but she knew it was too soon. With a sigh she leaned back feeling his absence as an ache. She only nodded.

---

Two weeks they went on in their routine. Quin came home and brought her some little treat: a flower, a note, or a sweet and he would visit a few minutes before he went down to clean up and bring up supper. Her favorite part of this was the kiss. She was counting the days...and was very glad when the first of three months was passed!

"You seem...distracted tonight." She commented as he sat brooding over his coffee.

"Oh." He shrugged. "I'm just tired I suppose. I drilled with the men today and..."

She listened to his news but sensed there was something more. She'd been content in her place as the major's wife. It was a pleasant enough duty. But the fact that there was some bit of news he was reluctant to share reminded her he was an officer in the Union Army, and at the moment the Union was embroiled in a war. Her heart sank.

"Quin?" she rested her hand on his arm as he turned to leave. "I noticed that you seemed...worried over something the last few days. More so tonight. What is it? Has something happened to—"

"I—" he paused and she saw the struggle on his face. "I will tell you after supper tonight?"

It was a question but she could tell it wasn't up for debate. She nodded and tried to rein in her imagination. There was no end to the list of things she could think of that might make the Great Major McClintock reticent to discuss them! She shuddered and pushed away the thoughts. She wanted to enjoy this last supper with Quin before this dreadful news changed everything.

---

"I received a dispatch from Henry. Visalia is worse than ever. What they did to us...to our daughter...and to Zeke...they're continuing the violence. The soldiers are a minority and aren't able to stop them. They publicly mock the soldiers and publish hateful pieces in their newspapers. Henry has officially requested more troops be sent. He's hoping a stronger presence will stop the madness before more innocents are hurt."

He watched as she took it all in. He watched her muscles tense and heard her breath catch. She sat silently a moment and he wondered if she was alright. He opened his mouth to ask when she pulled her shoulders back and straightened as much as she could in the bed. He admired her strength as she tucked away her sorrow to give her support. Lord, but he loved this incredible woman!