Chapter 16-part 1

"I tried for three days to get back to him but his body was already gone when I got there." He swallowed hard and it took him a minute before he could go on. "The night he died he told me to take Little Quin and to find you. He told me that if you ever asked me about him I was to give you this."

Once more it seemed to her that time had stopped. She watched as Bo reached into his jacket and pulled out a crumpled scrap of paper folded in quarters. The motion was unnaturally slow, like molasses in the cold as he held out the scrap to her. As she reached for it she saw a single word on the stained paper. It was smeared, but still legible. VICKY. She suddenly couldn't see through her tears and drew back her hand as she shook her head.

"Please." She managed.

He looked at the paper in his palm and paused. He carried it in his breast pocket since that awful day and never opened it. He didn't want to impose on whatever dying message Jeremy sent to his sister-in-law. Bo opened it hesitantly. The words inside were harder to read than the name on the outside. He stared a moment at the simplicity of the message and suddenly felt a very great loss.

"Please know I will always love you." He read at last in a near whisper.

He felt such a great sadness at the tenderness of the message and Vicky's response to it. She sat quietly with her back straight and her chin lifted as she wept silent tears. He was surprised by the smile graced her face and seemed to light her from within. After several moments she spoke in a soft but steady voice.

"And what for his wife? What did he leave her?"

"That note was everything. I've told you all that he said. We were dragged out a few minutes after I hid this note. He died before he had time to say anything more...to do anything more."

Vicky said nothing and gave no indication she'd heard but he continued with his thoughts.

"I often wondered why he used the last of his moments to write a note for you. I wondered why he would ask for the child to be brought to you. I wondered why he would leave no other message for his wife, no parting words for his son..."

His voice trailed off and they sat quietly alone with their thoughts. Ruth appeared to refill their cups and remove the plates of pie. She looked briefly from Bo to Vicky then left without a word instructing that they not be disturbed.

"I made my way back to Janelle. The baby was born by the time I arrived. She was sitting in a rocker and looking so content. She looked up and for an instant there was only love and joy. Then she seemed to really see me and she knew before I told her. She changed after that. Without Jeremy there to help her move forward and build happy memories..."

"Well you can see for yourself how she treats the boy. He is only a reminder of what she's lost. I've told you why I came. She believes the south return to its former glory when this war is over. Janelle wants to leave the boy and all of her past behind and marry well. As a respectable widow, I admit marriage is probably the best avenue for her."

Vicky tipped her head and looked at him with her unspoken question plain on her face.

"I'm afraid if the 'right man' offered, she would willingly become a kept mistress. She has had a belly full of hardship and wants no more of it."

Vicky looked at him thoughtfully. Janelle and Little Quin were the only family he had left. He'd given up everything to bring her here. Although in truth, the soldiers had stripped him of everything but family long before he left Georgia. It was obvious he loved his sister and his nephew and she had no doubt even if he had wealth and status he would leave them for his sister.

"And what about you?" She said in that quiet steady voice as a look of resolve settled over her troubled features.

"What do you mean?"