imagine

for @whydontwejustllove

*****

Living in a house full of boys isn't easy sometimes, especially since I'm a girl, and I'm the youngest of my brothers: Darry, Sodapop, and Ponyboy.

Well, sort of. Ponyboy and I are twins, and he was born 10 minutes before me. Technically, he is older than me, but we're both the babies.

Anyway... being their little sister can also be a good thing for me. They're always really protective of me; I can't defend myself well since I've always relied on my brothers to do that for me, so that's not exactly a good thing.

Other times, it absolutely sucks. They don't like me dating any boys, I'm expected to be the one who does well in school, and I don't get to go out unless one of them is with me.

Sodapop is usually the one to hang out with me, that's why we're so close. I used to be closer with Ponyboy, but all he ever likes to do anymore is read books and stuff. Boring.

Sodapop barges into my room, interrupting my thoughts. Probably hoping to jump on my bed and wake me up, but I'm already awake, to his disappointment.

"Morning, Riya," he throws himself onto my bed and yawns. "What are you doin' up so early?" he asked.

I glanced at the clock--it was 8 AM. It wasn't that early. "I'm not sure, I guess my thoughts just woke me up," I shrugged as I looked up at the ceiling.

"Oh, well, you wanna go get breakfast? I'm not working today. We can go get some pancakes from the diner, or somethin'," he suggested.

"Sure," I said. "I'll need to get dressed real quick. I'll meet you outside."

He nodded as he got up off the bed and left. I shut the door and skimmed through my closet for something to wear. I decided on a white t-shirt with some jeans and a jean jacket.

Heading down the hallway, I noticed Ponyboy was still asleep. Typical.

All the guys were outside: Soda, Johnny, Darry, Two-Bit, Steve, and Dally.

"Good morning, everyone," I greeted. I glanced over at Johnny, who was keeping to himself, looking down at his feet as he kicked the dirt. "How've you been?" I asked him. He recently got jumped by some of them dumb ass Socs. I haven't directly asked him about how he's been since it happened, because I knew he didn't like talking about it.

He shrugged. "So-so."

He didn't talk very much, so I always had to do most of the talking. "Well, Sodapop and I are gonna head out and get some breakfast. Wanna come along?"

He shook his head, declining the offer. "No, thanks. I ate some toast already."

I nodded, giving him a gentle pat on the back. I walked alongside Sodapop as we walked out the gate. Dally jogged to catch up to us.

"Hey, Dal," Sodapop said. "Are you comin' to get some breakfast with us?"

Dally shook his head no as he lit hit cigarette. "No, I'm going to pick up a car I'm gonna borrow. Thought I'd tag along and walk a little with you guys," he shrugged.

"Why?" I asked. "Are you scared to be alone in the streets?" I teased.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm the last person to ever be scared. And with you being so defenseless, you should be thankful I'm walking with you guys."

"What, is Sodapop not enough protection?" I questioned him.

Dally shrugged. "I'm just sayin' no Soc would ever come near you as long as I'm with you."