You're Different

Chapter 5

Phil's POV

Tonight was my 20th birthday. I had spent sometime with my family and now that it was late I stuck out to meet Melissa, Chad, and Kacey. I walked over to the gravestone but right before it I heard a rustling noise. Just to be safe I should stop.

"Happy Birthday." A voice said.

"Who are you?" I asked. It reminded me of the night I was bitten. I could see but I could hear.

"Come closer and you'll see." It said.

I walked towards the noise until I heard breathing coming from above me.

I looked up at the figure in the tree. It leaped down and was now standing in front of me. The tall boy looked familiar. Dan.

"Why are you here? You don't even know me." I questioned.

"You sparked my interest." He said nonchalantly.

"What do you mean?"

"I was the one who found your YouTube, AmazingPhil. I showed my family be glad for that. The Ambassador usually isn't as lenient with stuff like that." Dan replied.

"I heard you'll be The Ambassador soon." I said.

Dan scoffed, "I don't want to become The Ambassador. What choice do I have? My brothers too young and my father can't handle it."

"What about your mother?" I questioned.

"A woman can not be an Ambassador. It is against the ways of the lonely's. It must be a man over the age of sixteen. I still have a couple months to go." He replied.

"That's completely sexist!"

"It is what it is. One of the earliest laws, not even the Ambassador himself can change it."

"You're different, Dan." I said.

"Different how?" Dan asked.

"It seems like most people would jump at the chance to be the Ambassador."

Dan sighed, "But I'm not most people."