First Flight

Chapter 3

Phil's POV

I was still in shock. I mean I knew but I didn't know. It's hard for me to explain exactly how I felt. Especially, since I didn't have all my answers yet. I didn't even believe in the supernatural.. How could this even happen? I guess the full moon took over me too; I shouldn't trust it again. Isn't the moon supposed to guide you in the dark? If so, was this really my path? Forced to be this creature of the night?

Just then I remembered, how the hell was I supposed to do YouTube?! Just try to be as normal as possible. Nothing will ever happen with AmazingPhil. Only a few people watch it anyway.

~

"Bye Mum, bye Dad! Going for a walk!" I shouted.

I began for the cemetery. I opened the gate and stood still. The graveyard was even creepy in the daylight, no wonder it hasn't been used. It was a great place for lonely's.

"Melissa? Chad? I'm here, it's Phil." I said.

"And why do you wish to see them?" A voice said behind me. I turned around, a woman probably around 20 with choppy wavy brown hair, deep brown eyes, and fair skin.

"They-uh told me to come last night." I mumbled.

"Very well, Phil. They mentioned some things about you. Follow me, My name's Kacey."

Kacey lead me to a large tombstone the name was faded out.

"Watch carefully, Phil. You're going to need to know this." Said Kacey.

She knocked twice and then poked the stone right under where the name would have been. A clicking noise went off and the stone moved to show a descending stairwell. We climbed down to meet Melissa and Chad.

"We weren't sure that you'd come. Thought we might have to hunt you down." Chad confessed. "Glad you're here."

"First things first, we need to register you." Melissa added.

"Register me?" I questioned.

"Yeah, the head of the lonely's keep track of all of us. What type you are, how old you are, where you were born, they want to know all of that. Each country takes watches over their own lonely's. For instance, England is really keen on keeping us a secret but how many Romanian vampire stories had you heard? We're much more popular there than here but that's just the way England runs itself." Melissa said.

"Who decides what happens in England? Is there like a vampire queen?" I asked.

"No, no! Vampire queen? That's silly! There's a group of people we vote in, once you're in you're in unless you die or do something so unspeakably horrible but that only happened a couple of times. It's real hard getting into the head of the lonely's too. They each have a certain job, the watchers seek out children of the night who don't know they are. The punishers, well, punish, If you go to far out of line, then you're out. We use a three strikes system. There are others as well but the most important is the Ambassador."

"The Ambassador?"

Chad started, "There has only been one ambassador in our history. One of the oldest lonely's almost 2000 years old, that man! His name is Ambassador Howell. David Howell, but no one calls him that. As far as were concerned you either call him Ambassador Howell or Sir Howell."

"Alright, and where can we find the head of the lonely's?" I questioned.

"London. We'll go there at night we can't travel in the light." Chad spoke.

Kacey interrupted, "Maybe now would be a good time to explain the types."

"Oh, right. Let's all sit down."

~

Melissa began to tell me about types.

"There are three types, Phil. Type A's are vampires born into a vampire family. The most normal of us and usually the most vicious when it comes down to things because of all the history in their blood. A's grow to a certain point then stop usually around the age of 18. Type B's are vampires born into a human family, these are the most rare but not extinct. We don't fully understand how this works, however, we think there may be previous vampires in the family who's children didn't end up being one. We call those the weaklings. Type B's also grow but stop at a certain point again close to the age of 18. Type C's are humans turned into a vampire. They stop growing at the age they were turned at. How old are you, Phil?"

"Nearly twenty." I said.

"You won't be aging anymore. You'll still have birthdays so technically you'll get older but you will always have a 20 year olds body." Chad revealed.

"What type are you?" I questioned.

"Well, we're both type B. Chad got figured out first then myself. That was 60 years ago." Melissa said.

"So, how old are you exactly?"

"72. Chad's 74." She replied. "Time goes by so fast, Phil."

"What about you Kacey?" I asked.

"Me? Type A." She answered nonchalantly. "I'm one of the older one's being 1,254. Pretty old I'd say. At least I still have the body of an eighteen year old."

I would have never guessed Kacey was that old.

"So, I'm guessing you have a husband or something?" I said.

"Nope. 1,254 years and I've never had a healthy stable relationship. Quite depressing but I know the right guy will come."

~

"Okay, Phil. It's time to go to London." Chad said.

"Think of flying, you'll be amazed at what happens."

I closed my eyes and imagined soaring over the city at night. I felt myself lift off of the ground.

"Excellent!" Melissa squealed.

I was transformed into a bat. I followed Melissa and Chad's lead. We were going so fast. This trip would normally take hours but flying took us 10 minutes. I loved the feeling of the wind in my face, this was a definite perk. My first flight was a success.

"Slow down we're about to land!" He shouted.

We slowely descended and landed on top of a building.

"This looks familiar!" I added

"It should. It's the BBC." Said Melissa.

"We have a secret floor here."

We climbed down the stairs and into an elevator. Melissa spoke, "Where the lonely one's roam." and the elevator rushed down the the bottom floor. The basement. Elevator doors opened and I was greeted with many smiling faces.

Chad and Melissa put their arms around me,

"Welcome to head quarters, Phil."