20. Unearth the Mountain

Image Credit: (Left) Triple Stabber on Newgrounds (Right) graceofireland on DeviantArt

The next day, the group continue their travels and headed towards Twist Mountain. Hugh and Samurott ignored Y/N who was on the Xtransceiver with the arrogant brother who seemed to talk loudly.

"Everything okay? Out of trouble? How's the pokemon?,"  he asked committed. She rolled her eyes but appreciated his concern in some way.

"Everything is fine Xier. How about you?"  Y/N could see him look behind himself through the small screen. "Uh, not so good,"  he explained. "Gallade has been ill for a few days and I haven't been catching up on chores or training. We had a few challengers with the help of Cheren, but it sure is odd not having you here back home. Anyhow, where the heck is Hugh? Let me talk to him."  She turned to Hugh who immediately shook his head and backed away with a nervous expression. Y/N sighed and turned back to the Xtransceiver.

"...Uh, he's busy. We're heading to Twist Mountain right now. I should get going Xier."  He nods with a grin and waves goodbye through the screen.

Now arriving at  the entrance of their location, Hugh takes a deep breath and turns to Y/N contentedly. "Anddd we have arrive. Damn, you have no idea how many memories this mountain reminds me."  She smiles and agrees, looking up at  the tall impressive height. It has been a long time since she's been here too with  her father as he worked as a geoscientist and studied the environment around Twist Mountain. It was pretty boring when he brought her along when she was young but she was able to distract herself with the Roggenrola  at some point.

When they entered chills were quickly sent down their spines. Hugh looked around and glanced at Y/N and Samurott. "I know the way through this place so just follow me. Let's hurry though, this place gives me the creeps..."  They nod and began to follow him through the rocky dirt paths. 

"I can't believe you got us lost!"

Y/N and Samurott glared at Hugh irritated. They were still inside the cave and it had become almost midnight. It seems like they have not gotten far as they were still  lost and they were recognizing the same path they were taking. Have they been going in circles perhaps? Hugh sighed tiredly while grabbing his hair. 

"...I guess it really has been a long time. I thought I knew the way through  here."  He seemed dejected. She looked at him concerned and sighed, gently placing her hand on his  shoulder.

"Look, let's just rest here for the night,"  she tendered. "Tomorrow  we'll get out of here and head to Icirrus City in  no time."  Samurott nods in agreement and lays down. Hugh looks at her confounded but smile and nods. 

"Goodnight Hugh."

"...Goodnight Y/N."

They laid tiredly in their sleeping bags with Samurott besides the trainers. Hugh dozed off while Y/N stared at  the rocky ceiling. Not necessarily sleepy but a bit tired, she wondered about N once again. It was hard not  to think of him, his interesting and contend goal to liberate pokemon. That might have been two years ago but  the thought of his trust and concern to Team Plasma made her intrigue by the later events. 

The dim light from the lantern made everything a bit hard to see for Y/N as  she rolled over to her side. Before she closed her eyes however, she heard a low whimper. She sat up quickly and looked around.

"...H-hello?"  She got up on her feet as Lucario comes out of his pokeball sensing her consternation. He looked at her perceptive. 

"Ah, Lucario. Sorry if I woke you up,"  Y/N murmured apologetic. "...I think I heard something."  She looked around again and then sighs, laying back down in her sleeping bag. Lucario looks at her bothered and shakes his head. He lays his back on the rocky wall trying his best to settle in. 

He then closes his eyes begins to quietly sleep under Hugh's  snores.