12. Dazzling Spirit and Underground Boss

(Image edited by me on pixlr, sources from PKM Masters and the anime)

The next day, the group headed on towards Elesa's new gym to pay a visit. When they got  to the entrance they saw security guards  standing there. One of them lifted up his glasses in a cool manner. "If it isn't  Xier's little sister! Are you here to see Elesa?"  Hugh and Y/N glanced at each other. She turned to the guard. "Yup! Is  she busy?"  The guard nodded.

"She's about  to have a pokemon battle against another gym leader, Clay. I'll get you some seats, don't want Elesa to find out her favorite girl standing around."

Y/N blushed, clearly flattered. Hugh rolled his eyes.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen!",  the announcer shouted. "Today's battle is going to shock you! Gym leader Elesa versus Driftveil City gym leader Clay!"  

The whole crowd cheered, making it feel like the building was shaking. Hugh and Y/N grinned excitedly. 

"Elesa, which pokemon will you choose?" 

Elesa looked around dazzling the stage. She faced the audience who cheered loudly. "Well dear, I must say it's difficult for people to draw out a pokemon's charm if they don't have any themselves, so i'll use Emolga!"  She then threw her pokeball in the air and Emolga came out flying elegantly. The announcer smiled, turning to Clay.

"Which pokemon will you choose?"  Clay lifted up his cowboy hat, glaring at Elesa. "I think it's about time fer myself what it is about the skills that makes a gym leader like her to take such a shine, so I'll be trusting my old partner!"  He took out his pokeball and Excadrill came out, growling but ready to battle. The announcer clapped her hands.  

"Well then, let the battle begin!" 

Y/N clapped her hands together. "This is so exciting! I hope (Elesa/Clay) wins!"  Hugh nods, agreeing with her. He narrowed at the stage. "...Yeah. I hope so too."

"Excadrill, Hone Claws!"  The announcer gasped. "Excadrill raised its attack and accuracy!,"  she announced. Elesa smiled, giving Clay a congenial glare. "...Clay dear, I see that my Emolga can't do very much to your lovely pokemon, so it looks like I must send out someone else."  

Emolga then went towards Excadrill at full speed, attacked, and then went back to its pokeball. 

The announcer grinned. "Emolga used U-turn! Who will you send out next?"  The  electric gym leader smirked, confusing Clay. "Go Zebstrika!"  He stared at her chosen pokemon and chuckled, shaking his head. "Yer think yer zebra can do anything to my pokemon? You're underestimating my ground techniques,"  he said amused. 

Zebstrika neighs loudly, not pleased with him. It glares at Excadrill. Suddenly, it released a large stream of swirling fire from its mouth towards the pokemon.

The crowd went quiet.

"Z-Zebstrika used Overheat! It seemed like it hurt a lot!,"  shouted the announcer, informing to the stunned crowd. The battle judge ran towards Excadrill and tried to spot any consciousness. The pokemon however just laid there admitting his defeat. The battle judge nodded towards the announcer. She smiled and clenched her microphone.

"Clay's pokemon fainted! Elesa is the winner!!!" 

Everyone cheered. Clay's face dropped. Elesa smiled and waved at  the audience.

"What are you folks doin' in the city?" 

After the battle, Hugh and Y/N met up with the gym leaders while the bodyguards tried to calm down the crowd behind them wanting autographs and photos.

Hugh grinned, looking towards Clay. "We thought we should pay a visit  to Elesa before heading to Driftveil City. Me and this idiot are traveling around Unova, hoping to find some Team Plasma punks."  Y/N glared at him, shaking her head. She turned to the cowboy. "How's it going sir?"

Clay laughed. "Haven't seen ya in years little miss. Forget bout me, didn't y'all?"  Elesa then hugged Y/N with all her might, kissing her on the cheek. "Oh, Y/N! I missed you very much."  She turned to Samurott and smiled at him. 

"And you Samurott, still looking handsome as ever."  

Clay sighed, rolling his eyes at her actions. He turned towards Hugh and Y/N.

"So y'all be headin' to Driftveil? Let me take y'all youngsters there."