Chapter 33: Manipulated

It was late whenever they got back home. Well, three in the morning, so it was actually early depending on how you looked at it. I was exhausted and still afraid, but now that there were people home I could sleep. But when I closed my light I couldn’t. So I turned it back on, but that didn't help either. And then my bedroom door opened.

I saw Jake peek into my room and my racing heart slowed. “Jake don’t do that. You scared me,” I hissed.

“Sorry,” he said, looking embarrassed. “I thought you were asleep.”

“Why were you peeking on me then?” I asked, clutching my comforter.

“I wanted to make sure you got home alright…but you’re here…and you look fine…so I’m just gonna go…” he started to leave, but I called him back.

“Jake? I can’t sleep,” I whispered. “I’m…I’m afraid.”

He wavered by the door, not looking like he knew what to do.

“Can you stay the night in here with me? Please?” I asked, hoping he’d say yes because there was no way I could sleep alone tonight. And we needed to talk anyways.

“Ivy I don’t think that’s the best—”

“Jake please,” I begged, getting out of bed to rush across the room. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly, “I know I don’t deserve it, but can you please stay with me?” I said into his shirt, face buried in his chest.

“I…um…sure,” he hesitated a bit. I pulled away and led him to bed. Almost right away I was curled up by his side, with his arm over my stomach. I flicked off the light, feeling mildly afraid before Jake pulled me down to him again. “Relax Ivy, no bogeymen are going to get you. Neither are the feet eating socks.”

My lips twitched a bit, “That’s not what I’m afraid of, but thanks for the assurance.”

“What are you afraid of?” he asked softly, his fingers running through my hair.

“Chad,” I said, sobering slightly as I clutched his shirt. “Jake I need your help. I can’t do it alone.”

“Do what?” he asked carefully.

“I can’t do it anymore. I want to break up with Chad. Everything that happened was a lie and I love you, Jake. I am so sorry for not believing you and hurting you so much. I…I need you. I can’t stand not having you around, and you’re the one person in the world who can make me feel loads better without even trying. You know me so well and you actually care about me,” I felt my eyes start to burn, “I know I don’t deserve it after everything, but I just want us to be together again. It was so good to be us. But Chad…Chad scares me now. And even if you don’t want me back—”

“Ivy, don’t be ridiculous,” he cut in, moving his face down to mine, “I would not have gone through all this trouble to turn around and say I didn’t want to be together. I love you too, Ivy. You’re a really big part of my life and I’ve wanted you back from the minute we broke up.” He let out a sigh, “Yeah you made some mistakes, but so did I. But we’re only human; we all make mistakes and we can’t help it. I do want you back Ivy, but I think we need to start fresh.”

“Me too. But Chad…” a shudder ran through me. He reminded me of Liam slightly; seeming like a nice guy in the beginning, but then you realized he was anything but when it was too late.

“I’ll help you take care of him,” he said easily, “But I rather not talk about him right now. I just want to relish the moment.”

I smiled a little, “Can I sleep while you relish?”