Chapter 31: Good People

I spent the rest of my weekend hiding in my room. Chad tried to call a few times, but I never picked up. He sent me a few texts though, threatening to come over and find out what was wrong, but I quickly texted back that I was simply busy doing homework and couldn’t talk. I knew he didn’t believe it, everyone knew how much I loathed doing homework, but he clearly realized bugging me was going to get him nowhere, just as I realized ignoring him was getting me nowhere. I was doing exactly what Jake had done and kept waiting to say something.

By the time Monday came, I was a nervous wreck. When I got to school I was one shaking, sweaty, dry mouthed mess. Even Tyler noticed it. I decided to keep to myself that morning, hoping Chad would be sick or something so I wouldn’t have to tell him.

I had never cheated on a guy before. And it was horrible that I cheated on one that seemed half decent, one that had made an effort to change and be with me.

I walked through the halls feeling nearly as frightened as when Chad made me watch that horror movie, always on the lookout, praying he wouldn’t be there.

But he was. And he was waiting for me right by my locker, leaning against it casually with his arms folded. When he saw me his serious expression didn’t falter and I swallowed hard, my dry throat itching as I struggled to find a ‘hello’ or even a ‘hi’.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, surprising me by taking my school bag off to dump on the floor before taking me into his arms. I stood stiff and unresponsive, feeling like a robot that someone forgot to program.

“Ch-Chad,” I stuttered, my whole mouth feeling clumsy as my palms started to sweat and my heart pounded with nerves. I felt sick.

He held me at arm’s length, looking me over carefully with his eyes. “Are you okay? What happened this weekend?” he asked worriedly and frankly I wished he hadn’t. I wished I could have that old, egotistical Chad back who never cared. It would have been a lot easier.

“I…the snowstorm…” I started but soon gave up. I backed out of his hold on me, turning away to face my locker. I gripped the lock in my clammy palms, holding onto it as if it was my lifeline. I spun the lock, trying to open it. But no matter how much I tried to unlock it, it just wouldn’t open.

“Ivy…” Chad said quietly.

“I can do this,” I said quickly, feeling tears bubble up. No, I couldn’t do this. I yanked on my lock in frustration but it still didn’t open. My eyes stung as I tried the combination again, and tears blurred my vision so bad I couldn’t even see the numbers anymore.

“Ivy,” he said firmly, turning me around. “What happened?” his blue eyes probed mine and I just couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“I’m a horrible person, Chad. I-I really am,” I wiped my eyes furiously, trying not to cry in the hallway where everyone could see.

“No, you’re not,” he pushed my hands away from my face, touching my cheek gently with his hand as he wiped the tears from my skin.

“Yes I am. You have no idea what happened, so how can you say otherwise?”

“Because I know you. You’re good. You could never be a bad person,” he said soothingly.

“Even good people do bad things,” I mumbled.

He paused for a moment, considering this. “I suppose that’s true. But what ever it was it can’t be that bad.”

But judging by the way he looked at me just now, and how he pulled away a little bit, just proved that he didn’t seem to believe himself one bit.