Chapter 29: Spies

After a lazy weekend, Monday rolled around and we finally found out that Ben and Jo did, in fact, hook up at the party and that’s why they disappeared. As for the friend’s house Tyler went too? He wouldn’t say a word about it, though Jake and I assumed he went to his secret girlfriend’s house for the night. As for who that was exactly, we still didn’t know.

“Hey Chad, you feeling better?” I asked him when I saw him at lunch. He hadn’t been there all morning for some reason but now there he was, leaning against my locker.

“Yeah,” he nodded, looking up the hallway. I leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek, and as I started to pull away he turned and grabbed my shoulders, kissing me hard on the mouth. I jumped in surprise and he pushed me back against my locker, still kissing me. I was a little taken aback, we never really kissed much in public, much less at school. Especially not in the crowded hallway during lunch where everyone could see.

“Chad,” I pushed him away slightly, “We’re at school.”

“I know,” he shrugged, trying to kiss me again. I frowned, turning my head to the side so he caught my cheek.

Chad,” I said warningly. What was with him?

“Fine,” he stepped back, looking irritated. “Sorry for missing you.”

“Yeah, well there’s a time and place and this isn’t it,” I retorted, trying not to get mad at him. Seriously, what the hell was that? I spotted Jake and Shannon down the hall and my slight temper flared up at the sight of them, her arm around his waist. Jake was staring at me with a crushed expression, but as he walked past he looked away, his face wiped clean of all emotion while Shannon babbled about something.

“Let’s just go eat,” I muttered, grabbing my lunch before I slammed my locker door shut. I slammed it so hard that I scared the people in the hallway with the gunshot level of sound it made.

Chad followed me to lunch while I fumed silently, trying to calm down. Tyler and Jo were already there, and once we sat Leena arrived as well. Only Jake was missing. Today was turning out to be a really bad day.

Jake POV

Shannon ambushed me right after gym, and I had no choice but to walk down Ivy’s hall to get to my locker with her, since our locker’s were just a few away from each other. She had her arm around my waist, and was talking so fast and loud about something that I just didn’t have the heart to tune into. I used to feel bad for the girl, but now I just wanted her to get the hell away from me. She was the one who started all this crap.

I saw Chad making out with Ivy against her locker and had a mild moment of satisfaction when she pushed him away. But still it hurt to see them like that. I knew they kissed and stuff, but I hated to see it. At least I could pretend it didn’t happen, but witnessing it just proved that she wasn’t with me anymore, and probably never would be.

Her face fell when she saw me and I looked away. I wasn’t in the mood to look at her with him right now.

“Oh Jake! You need to get over her,” Shannon said in annoyance once we were further down the hall. But even I couldn’t ignore the loud slam of a locker door being shut. I flinched and ignored Shannon. She didn’t know anything nor did I want her too.

“Seriously, she was going to end up with Chad one way or another. You couldn’t have thought that she’d be with you forever,” she scoffed.

I grit my teeth in annoyance, hands curling into fists. Why was she even here? I had been doing a really good job of avoiding her since the kiss.