Chapter 23

Malcolm McLean

A few days after taking Isabella out to Iverness, my uncle has returned from his trip. He looked slightly agitated and his hair was out of place. Damon noticed it right away when we saw him entering through the front doors. His eyes flying all over the places like someone who had committed a crime or was frightened of something.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

He came to a stuttering halt and his eyes snapped to mine. "No, why would you think something is wrong?"

"You're acting differently," I replied.

Damon and I were looking over some papers that I needed him to review and give me a second opinion. We were sitting down in the great hall at the end of the long table. Isabella was sleeping upstairs still. It was still quite early in the morning.

Uncle Alastair's back stiffened defensively. "There is nothing wrong. You do not need to be suspicious of anything."

He clutched a bag close to his chest. Damon frown deepened and I narrowed my eyes. I wasn't suspicious. In fact, I didn't say anything other than asking if something was wrong. He was acting like a male who was already guilty of something.

Standing up from my chair, I walked around Damon towards him.

"What's in your bag uncle?" I asked.

He seemed to snap out of his stupor and his confident front came back. He moved the bag away from my view and allowed his shoulders to relax a little.

"It is nothing. I went to go visit a good friend and she packed me a parting gift." He said calmly. "Now, if you would excuse me, I have been traveling all night. A good night sleep will help refresh me and calm my jittery mind."

I watched him scampered away before turning to Damon who looked just as puzzled as I was. He rubbed the stubble on his chin before scratching his temple.

"He is really off this morning." Damon voiced out loud.

"He said he was traveling all night."

"It's so weird. Your uncle never travels out alone but this time he did. I wondered where he went." Damon glanced back down at the paper and shuffle through them but I knew his mind was still on my uncle.

Sighing, I walked over to my seat and picked up some more papers to review again. The papers consisted of financial reports of the pack. Some lycans go into town to work and bring in their income. Others have found ways to help around the castle. It was just a matter of handling the resources that we currently have to keep the pack going. Winter was going to be hitting soon and we needed to make sure we had enough to keep us full throughout the season.

A few hours went by, Damon and I were quickly finishing up the paperwork and organizing the fine details when I heard my bedroom door click open. Knowing exactly who was emerging from the bedroom, my eyes zipped up to the second-floor landing.

A few moments later, she appeared by the stairs. She glanced our way and she gave me a lopsided grin before descending the stairs. She dressed in a casual white t-shirt and black yoga pants that hugged her hips and bottom like a glove. Instantly, desire lit up inside of me.

Isabella seemed to always bring out the animal inside of me-the good and bad. I saw that the mark I have given her was now clear as day and a part of me swell with pride. She was making it clear that she was mine.

When she was near enough, I wrapped my hands around her wrist and pulled her right onto my lap. The slight part of her lips and darkening of her eyes told me she knew what was poking her from underneath. The little vixen wiggled her bottom and I almost let out a strangled groan from the pure pleasure.