Prologue

Malcolm McLean - Ten years ago

I woke up to her gone. My bed empty and the warm silk sheets cold. At first, I thought she was just somewhere around the old castle that I lived on but after a thorough search I knew she was gone. She didn't take anything from her room. Her clothes and belongings still remained where they last were.

Currently, I was standing in middle of her room. A million things still running through my mind.

What did I do wrong?

Where did she go?

How could she do this?

My eyes scanned the room until I found a piece of note laying on top of her untouched bed. I walked over and picked it up. My heart breaking with each word.

My love Malcolm,

Do you remember the first time we met? I remembered it like it was just yesterday. You were training out in the woods, learning your way to become a great leader when you found me in the woods. Seeing and meeting you for the first time, I knew there was something special about you. Walking onto your territory and finding you was the best thing that had ever happened in my life. You taught me so many things...to love...to cherish...to hold onto something.

I know you are probably very confused and angry right now. I want to tell you that this isn't your fault. I have to do what I have to do to keep you safe. You don't deserve this. I never meant to hurt you. I never even thought that I will be so lucky to find someone like you but...I can't stay.

You have obviously found that I have left already. I am sorry for leaving without saying good bye. I couldn't...I am too much of a coward.

I want you to be happy, Malcolm.

I want you to forget about me.

I want you to find someone that will see you for the man that you are.

I am so sorry, Malcolm. Please forgive me.

Bella.

Tossing the note aside, I walked further into the room. My heart shattering into a million pieces with each step. She really did leave me.

Was my love for her not good enough?

I can feel the rage rising inside of me. A growl leaving my lips I gripped the bed post tightly in my hands that it snapped under the pressure. I gave her everything. I love her. I love her so much she was my world.

How could she do this to me?

Her scent was still fresh on my skin. I can still taste her sweet essence on my lips. She was writhing underneath me with so much passion and love.

Memories of our lovemaking just hours before this flashed through my mind. Her soft curvy body. Her long blonde hair. Her beautiful hazel gold eyes. Her legs wrapped around me as I brought us to the peak of ecstasy.

The bed post snapped and everything collapse in front of me. I was in a blind rage, everything around me happened in a blur. When I was done destroying her room, I collapsed onto my knees and covered my face.

The tears that I fought back, rushed down my cheeks without my permission. Angered by weakness, I slammed my first to the hard-cemented floor. Blood dripped from my knuckles but it didn't hurt as much as the pain in my chest.

It felt like I couldn't breathe, like someone had placed a large boulder over my chest. It hurt to breathe. It hurt to think and it hurt to know she was gone.

"Bella..." I whispered hoarsely and weakly.

Her name was like a knife to my heart. I couldn't understand the reasoning behind why she left me. Her letter didn't make any sense.

What we had was beautiful...like nothing else. I loved her with everything I had.

She was my light.

I remained kneeling down where I was all the way through the night. Slowly, everything inside of me seemed to have hollowed. She left with no items but took everything that I hold. I am nothing but a hollow man.

The sun began rising over the horizon and she still hasn't come back. I could chase her but I wouldn't know where to start. It was already too late.

Isabella was gone.

The door creaked open and Damon walked inside. He looked around the room before shoving a piece of broken furniture aside with his feet. I heard him sigh before he walked over to me. Crouching down to my eye level he patted my back.

"You have to be strong, Malcolm. She left you but the pack needs you. She is just a female lycan."

I snarled and my eyes snapped up threateningly at Damon. Even when she left me, I still love her. He raised his hand in the air in surrender.

"I don't hate her, Malcolm. You know I don't. She was like a sister to me." Damon rushed to say to calm me down.

I clenched my teeth together, feeling the rage still bubbling beneath my skin, "I need time."

"Well, you don't have much time. Your uncle will be on his way soon." Damon pointed out.

My uncle was my father's brother. After my parents died ten years ago from a tragic invasion to our pack, I became the Lycan Leader. I survived the invasion when Damon's mother hid me in a secret passage that only my family knew. She had instructed me not to leave until morning when the cries and screaming have completely stopped.

I remember seeing my parents' dead bodies. I remember burying them. Damon's mother raised me and his father taught me all I needed to know to survive.

My uncle was never in my life until now. He had decided that it was time he came back to live with the pack.

"When he arrives, tell him I am unwell. Have the servants prep my old room for him to stay in." I ordered.

"I don't like this. Why can't he live in one of the cabins outside the castle grounds He will still get prot-"

I glared at him, "He is my uncle, Damon. He is the only family I have left."

Damon sighed and shook his head, "You still have us."

I exhaled and closed my eyes tightly. Isabella's face flashed before me. "I know."

"I don't understand, Damon. Why did she leave?' I asked, my voice sounded strained.

"I don't know, man. She seemed perfectly fine until a few days ago. I don't know what happened. I tried talking to her but she wouldn't say a single thing."

"I asked her to be my mate." I looked at him. He must've seen the pain in my face because he looked at me with pity.

"She didn't leave you because of that." Damon tried to reassure.

"If it wasn't that, then what was it? The minute I asked her to be my mate, bare my mark, she runs? What am I supposed to think? She wouldn't have run if she loved me. She ran because she didn't love me. She didn't love me, Damon!" I grew angrier as the words left my lips.

My hands fisted at my sides. I was starting to lose control again but I turned that rage to something else. Hatred.

Never again, will I let Isabella Carson into my heart again. Never again will I love someone as much as I love her.

This is the end of what I can give. I will never let anyone inside again. I stood up, my hands fisted at my side, I felt all emotions leave me except for the hate that grew inside of me. It dulled the pain and allowed me to direct my anger towards her.

I will never allow myself to fall for Isabella Carson again.