8. Should've Said No

You only live once is a euphemism to do something utterly ridiculous or even just plain stupid. You live everyday and you only die once - is probably more accurate than the first one. The secret is to live every moment with hope and determination to do better in your life because once you do something that would make people think bad of you - you'll only get like a .1% percent chance of re-imaging yourself.
Why am I saying this? Newsflash today is that Ashley Stalls might be pregnant. She was seen buying a pregnancy test this morning on the way to the university and the gossip spread like wildfire among the Wharton alumnus.
Why is this a big deal? Did I forget to mention that Ashley's father is one of the most respected people in town - Reverend Eric Stalls.
Why do I care? Well maybe because for a while I thought she's my good christian friend but then she turned tables on me and stole my boyfriend.

"Did you hear the unfortunate-slash-fortunate news?" Mia sprung somewhere from behind me while I was eating lunch at the university square.
"Yes Mia I read your text. Seriously where did you get this news? Is it even real?" I took a bite on my apple and eyed her speciously.
"Of course it is! She's a goody-two-shoes, shiny virgin on the outside and a devious-hoe on the inside! Reverend Eric will be so furious if he finds out his daughter has been playing naughty with your ex," Mia said. She should really take a breath in between monologs.
"Yeah now that I think of it, it's kind of gross that it's with a guy I used to date," I answered.
"Don't be sad Sammy, you should be grateful it wasn't you with a bad rep. Besides, you already have your own man candy. Mr. Ethan Cutie Pie," she said wiggling her eyebrows. I can't help but to bring my lips into a curve at the thought of Ethan.

~~~~~~~~~~

After lunch, Mia and I went our separate ways and went to our classes. It has been a roller coaster ride last year and oddly, the thought of Liam might have gotten Ashley pregnant did not upset me at all. It's like a revenge I never sought at all. I just couldn't imagine a father with a pregnant daughter out of wedlock. I know Rev Eric enough to anticipate that he's gonna be furious once he finds out. The reason I know this is that Gav, mom and I go to their church every Sunday before. But now, with college and Gav in NY, we barely go there anymore. When we were in 4th grade, Ashley's step mom died and her older sister got pregnant at 15, Rev. Eric got over protective of his daughter. Geez, the heck that I know some parts of her life!

I walked out of the university feeling as if I learned nothing at all. I've been feeling a little distracted lately (obviously).
I checked my phone and saw Mia's text: *Hey Sammy? I went straight home after my Political Science class was cancelled due to my professor's lame-ass excuse. Ruby's at home, I'll catch up with ya tomorrow xx*

I started walking to the parking lot and get myself home. I thought I was looking at the wrong ride because clearly someone is leaning on my old truck at the driver's side.
I was prepared to say 'excuse me' when I verified that it was really my truck because of the plate number, but as I was approaching my truck, the boy's face is becoming clear to me - it's Liam Bentley.

I was speechless. How can someone tore your heart into tiny million pieces and end up leaning on your truck months later? Has the world gone insane or am I crazy?
"Hi Sam," he said calmly as if nothing remotely disgusting happened to him and Ashley.
I just gave him a befuddled, yet annoyed look. I can be heartless if I want to.
"I was just thinking - we never really talked after breaking up and... I just... I'm sorry, I missed you and I want you back. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"
Wha- is he serious? Yep - it's dawning on me now, he's the one who's gone insane.
"Are you for real Liam? Rumor is that you might have gotten your girlfriend pregnant and now you want me back?" I said trying to sound as relaxed as possible. "I forgive you Liam, but no thanks, I can't - and I can never stress this enough - I don't want to get back together." Wow Sam that's harsh. I never thought I'd adopt Mia's long and hard speeches.
"Is it because of that Ethan guy? I saw it on Facebook. You spent the holiday with that snarky military dude!" He said almost shouting.
"You're unbelievable!" I half shouted. "You're right I'm sorry. I should not have yelled. Please let's get back together? It pains me to see you with another guy."
"Wow big talk from a guy who cheated on me," I said without hiding the sarcasm on my face. I ignored his attempt to slow me down as I opened my door and in to my car. I drove straight without looking back.

You can see that I've been crying
Baby, you know all the right things to say
But do you honestly expect me to believe
We could ever be the same?

You say that the past is the past, you need one chance
It was a moment of weakness and you said, "Yes."

You should've said "No", you should've gone home
You should've thought twice 'fore you let it all go
You should've known that word, with what you did with her,
Get back to me (get back to me)
And I should've been there in the back of your mind
I shouldn't be asking myself, "Why?"
You shouldn't be begging for forgiveness at my feet...
You should've said "No", baby, and you might still have me

~~~~~~~~~~

"He said what?!" Mia shouted through her phone when I told her my encounter with Liam. I should've waited 'till I got to her house. "Okay hurry up Ruby's asleep, I'll make popcorn!"
It's another night of one of our sleepovers, my showdown with Liam will be the highlight of tonight. How can he be so insensitive and annoying and such a douche bag at the same time?

As I entered Mia's room I was welcomed with the smell of newly popped popcorn and the sound of her TV with the latest ANTM episode.
"I did something terrible a while ago," Mia said almost tripping on her teddy bear as she walked inside the room with me.
"What did you do this time cookie?" I asked.
"I told Ethan what happened."
"Wha- why?" I asked dumbstruck. How is that even possible?
"Well your brother called and he was with Ethan at the moment so it might have slipped from my tongue," she said while clasping the mouth piece of her phone.
"Wait why did Gav call you?"
"Well, that's not the point, the point is that Ethan is furious! Sweet huh?"
"Sweet? Wait you're changing the subject Mia." Why did Gav call her?
"Quit yappin' and start talking!" And then she handed the phone to me.
I did not speak, I waited for the other end of the line to say something.
"Sam?" the handsome voice spoke. I was sure it wasn't my brother.
"Yeah?" I said.
"Mia just told me what happened. Are you okay?"
"Yeah I'm fine Ethan don't worry about it," I answered.
I can hear him grit his teeth and said, "Alright, I just hope that dufus did not hurt you in any way. I'll check in on you tomorrow is that okay?" Oh-mah-gah. Is it even possible for him to make me feel the stupid butterflies in my stomach through a phone conversation? And within a few seconds no less?
"Yeah sure," I said cooly.
"Okay, I'll talk to you tomorrow night after our drills," he paused. I can hear him smirk as he said, "good night beautiful."

"What did he say?" Mia asked excited as ever.
"Nothing. Just don't blab like that again Mia," I said annoyed but still smiling from hearing Ethan's voice.
"Are you sure you hate me for blabbing this time?" she cooed.
"Fine! Ethan was again - sweet as ever. Anyway, what the heck happened with Liam? Is he really insane or just downright crazy?! I'll totally give him the stink eye the next time I see him."
"Nah Mia, it's fine. I already scolded the life out of him. I just don't get it," I said as I lay ace down on her fluffy bed.
"Yeah me too. He's such a mongrel, I just hope he won't make that move again."

We watched a marathon of Big Bang Theory, ate a bowl of popcorn, a bowl of jalapeño Cheetos and a bottle of Yoohoo each. Mia and I were both thinking of going to a salon tomorrow since we both don't have to go to school on a Saturday.
"Good night Mia," I said as I see her heavy eyes drop.
"Goodthfnight Sammy," she said almost speaking like in a different language.
I'm still thinking about the events of today - Ashley being 'probably' pregnant, Liam 'wanting' me back and the most exciting, yet confusing - Ethan calling through my brother's phone and to Mia's phone, checking up on me.
But right now, I'm just looking forward to Ethan calling me again tomorrow night after their drills.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Updated Version*

*Should've Said No - Taylor Swift
Also I used the title of the song for the chapter title ;)

I hope you guys like this one. I've been squeezing writing in my busy schedule! Whew! Learning new things on my new/first job woot!

Also my Tumblr posts are mostly about this story! Follow/visit www.alexamerrick.tumblr.com
(Again) I updated my cast on ML! Comment/message me your thoughts!

-Alex