7. Superman

I woke up at the blaring sound of my phone ringing and vibrating under my pillow. I must've fallen asleep while in the middle of super-late-night-texting with Ethan. The cold night, comfy bed and the sound of Mia's silence on the other side of the room made it impossible to stay up for another minute last night.
I took my phone and saw Ethan's name on the screen. Crap. Why is he calling at 9 in the morning on the first day of 2013? I hope to God he's okay.
"Good morning Sam. Did I wake you too early?" the handsome voice on the other end of the line asked.
"A little bit," I answered with my hoarse bedroom voice.
"I'm sorry, but I know it's your last day in New York, and I was wondering if you would wanna go out with me?"

It took me a few seconds of "Uhhmm" and another minute of him convincing me. I was hesitant because I know Gav won't be thrilled about that idea. But Ethan told me that Gav won't be free this morning because he promised his upperclassmen he'd spend his free time in the morning with them - like a "company get together" or something like that.
So after saying yes, he told me he'd pick me up in a few minutes to give me time to prepare. I settled for a turtleneck white top under my light brown leather jacket, with my chocolate brown ankle booties and my best blue jeans.
I told my mom I'd be out with Ethan for a while and will be back after lunch. Good thing she didn't argue.

"Good morning Mrs. Mason, I uhh hope it's okay I'm taking Sam out," Ethan said carefully after he was asked by my mother to enter the apartment.
"Of course you can. Gav just called and told me he won't be free this morning anyway, so you two take as long as you want this morning. Just be back before 3pm. Our flight is at 7pm, got it Sam?" my mom said.
"Yeah mom. Be back soon! Bye!" With that, Ethan and I went out of the apartment building and went inside the cab which was already waiting outside for us.

~~~~~~~~~~

The date went absolutely nice. As ever, Ethan was a gentleman, and even if he's wearing the handsome USMA uniform, it did not stop him from carrying my bag once in a while.

The streets were not as busy, because most people are just about to go home from their parties last night.
We had gelato after eating lunch at Antonio's Pizza.
"So you guys are heading home tonight huh?" Ethan said, stating a bumming fact that I'm not gonna see him for who knows how long.
"Yeah," I answered. I feel like there's nothing else to say, yet I want him to know what an amazing vacation I had because of him. I can't say that to someone I barely know - it just sounds weird and clingy and pathetic. Ugh, stupid rules.
"I wish we had more time," he finally said breaking the few seconds awkward silence.
"Me too."

We walked around more and finally went back to the apartment where mom is waiting while packing some of the stuff. Gav, on the other hand is at the dining table eating his snack and watching TV beside Mia, both of them arguing something about Superman's power and how scientifically impossible for him to catch Lois Lane with that speed.

"Thank you Mrs. Mason for letting Sam go out with me today."
"Oh it's no big deal Ethan. How about you stay here for a few more minutes before going back. You and Gav could share a cab going back to the academy," my mom suggested.
"Hey buddy, I didn't know you and Sam had plans today?" Gav said without giving Ethan a second glance. His eyes glued on the television. Crap.
Before he could even answer, mom interrupted, "No now Gav, don't give the young boy a hard time. I was the one who allowed them to go out."
"Yeah Gav don't be such a mood killer," Mia said eyeing Gav and then hitting him lightly on the shoulder.
"Ow! I can't believe a little person could hit so hard! Oh yeah, you ain't a person, you're cookie monster!" Oh thank heavens for Mia!
"Oh I thought you guys are mature enough not to call each other names anymore?" I teased. Hoping Gav will just forget about what he sarcastically said to Ethan.
"Yeah, well your best friend's always a buzz kill that's why," Gav answered.

After a few more minutes of the two of them arguing about... What was it about again? Oh who cares! They end up arguing and not decide who wins in the end anyway, so yeah. Whatever.
When it was time for them to go back, Gav was mauled by my mom's tight hug and gave him last minute talks and such.

We were all at the entrance of the apartment building, Ethan walked slowly towards me and said, "I guess I'll see you on summer?"
"Yeah?" I answered, regretting it immediately I said, "I mean, yeah I sure hope so," I smiled.
"Have a safe flight."
And with that, Gav and Ethan went inside the cab.

I watch Superman fly away
You've got a busy day today
Go save the world I'll be around
And I watch Superman fly away
Come back I'll be with you someday
I'll be right here on the ground
When you come back down
And I watch you fly around the world

And I hope you don't take some other girl
Don't forget! Don't forget! About me!
I'm far away but I never let you go
I'm lovestruck and looking out the window
Don't forget! Don't forget! Where I'll be...*

~~~~~~~~~~

Our flight left around 8 in the evening. Mia was, as usual, bombarding me with questions about my date with Ethan.
"So where did Mr. Cutie Pie took you?" she said the moment mom fell asleep.
"We had Italian for lunch and ate gelato after. No biggie," I answered.
"Oh, no biggie huh? The way he looks at you? And that goodbye, huh, don't toy with me sister," she said with that annoying know-it-all tone of voice.
"I just think he's amazing but I'm not ready for a serious commitment. He's in a military school for crying out loud! I don't wanna ruin his focus."
"Okay, let's do pros and cons, shall we?"
"No Mia plea-"
"Cons: he's in a military school, he's haircut looks dork and you can't see him everyday. Pros: he's considered one of our country's hero, he totally pulls off that hair cut and, at least once he comes home you'll totally fall in love every time! You won't get sick of it like that douche bag you use to date, what's his name again? Oh yeah, Liam McDouchebag Bentley!"
"Okay okay! I got it Mia, geez! Let's just see what will happen, okay? I don't wanna rush these things."

After the 3-hour plane ride, we dropped Mia off at her house before mom and I go home.
Christmas vacation is over, I think I like a boy and I'm ready to face school again.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Superman - Taylor Swift
Also I used the title of the song for the chapter title ;)

Also if you have time, I update my IG posts about ML stuff, so feel free to follow @alexdiaries on Instagram and Twitter! :)

What do you think? Comment or vote <3 Thanks

-Alex