5. Begin Again

This night is amazing. Ethan took me out for a coffee after the dance a few blocks away from our apartment as Gav and Mia went back home I guess. My brother wasn't gonna let me be alone with his friend but when Ethan asked him in front of me, he couldn't say no. Though he couldn't say yes easily either.

"So you really don't drink coffee?" Ethan asks.
"Well, not much. I prefer tea," I said while tapping the edge of my cup filled with hot green tea.
"That's interesting," he says, continuing by a hearty laugh and blurted out, "You really look nice."
"I'm pretty sure you already said that during the dance, the cab way here and while we were ordering our drinks." I laughed nervously.
And his response seems to caught me off guard, "Ha ha. Well, it is true."
With that, I remember him referring to me as a special person unmet earlier during the dance which, by the way, makes me all sorts of jittery. Who says that to someone you just met?

Then there was silence. Not the awkward kind of silence. Just the kind where we both know what the other might be thinking about. Smiling and just glancing at each other while I thought of the song that fits into this moment right here and it goes something like this:

And you throw your head back laughing
Like a little kid
I think it's strange that you think I'm funny cause
He never did
I've been spending the last 8 months
Thinking all love ever does
Is break and burn and end
But on a Wednesday in a cafe
I watched it begin again*

We were at the front porch steps going up to our apartment when Ethan asked me, "When are you guys going back home?"

"After New Year's I guess." I smiled.

"Oh okay, I'll see you on New Year's then." He held my right hand and kissed it gently.
I felt the wind splash in my face and felt really cold like it was from freakin' Narnia and my dress is not helping much. So I thank God that apartment door 1711 is in about a few steps away.

"I'll see you then. I guess." I answered unsure about what he meant about seeing me on New Year's and taking the few steps toward the door.

"Oh you will." He grinned and stared at me for what it felt like forever.

I was pretty sure he was gonna kiss me. The way he stared at me and his face almost leaning and my body perfectly balanced by the cold door at my back. Am I ready for this? Is this really happening? Oh my gosh...

And that's when my brother opened the freakin' door! I almost trampled and really grateful that Ethan caught me swiftly with his muscular arms.
"Oh sorry Sammy. I didn't know you guys were home, it's really quiet out here and I thought I heard a noise..." Talk about awkward.
Being caught by your brother snogging your boyfriend is bad. But being caught by your brother almost snogging his friend is way beyond terrible... probably awkward 100x.
"So..." Gav continued. "Carter? Are you gonna go back at the Academy or staying here? I was gonna sleep for a while before heading back."

"Yeah that'd be great, It'll be great to rest for a while. We could share a cab going back." They talked like there wasn't any awkward moment prior to this.

Gav went inside first, I went too, and then Ethan immediately followed.
"Sammy?" He said only as loud so only I can hear. Amused, he waits for my answer.

"Yeah, it's my childhood pet name." I said embarrassed.

"I like it." And gave me that beaming smile again.

~~~~~~~~~~

I was sitting beside Mia at the coffee table as we chat about the dance. Gav is in the room with Ethan snoring their way to dreamland. I guess they really are sleep deprived. I think being a freshmen (or a fourth class) in a military school is really hard not just with all the academics and all, but physically as well. And not like the varsity-jocks-kinda-tired, if you know what I mean.
I saw how Gav lose all his weight and how those dark circles under his eyes formed when we first saw him a few months ago. But at least he's a little better now.

I was itching to ask Mia about her date with my brother. I know that when your best gal friend dates your brother, it gets weird... but in this case, I don't see why it should be. They're like brothers and sisters for crying out loud! I mean, that's at least how I see them. There was this one time in middle school, Gav made Mia cry just because of endless teasing with the cookie monster joke and about how chubby she was back then. It was hysterical actually, but you get my point, right? I see them as platonic friends or brothers and sisters or whatever. But I am still intrigued about how it went with the two of them.
"So how did it go with Gav? I hope you two didn't cause any scene." Raising an eyebrow at her, hoping she'll give me those novel stories of her that she usually have after an eventful happening.

"N-n-no we were fine. I guess being in front of his friends made all the difference." Mia never stutters. I do hope Gav did not do anything to embarrass her, or the other way around.

She interrupts my thought and said, "So, enough about me and your snarky brother. Tell me everything about earlier this evening with you and Mr. Cutie Pie. Spill everything." Mia said excitedly almost whispering but not really. I do hope they are sleeping because 'Mr. Cutie Pie' is not a good thing to hear at 2am from two college girls.

"Nothing, we ate, we danced and we talked. That's it." I try to sound not interested and also careful not to look Mia in the eye, she would grill me more if she found out I'm concealing even just a bit of information.

"Really?" She said sarcastically.

"Yeah really." I said trying to sound bored. "So do you wanna turn in or do you wanna watch the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory at the couch 'till we fall asleep?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"You got me at Big Bang, Sammy. Let's do this!" She squealed.

We settled at the couch after setting the alarm clock for Gav and Ethan. They should be back at the Academy by 8am, so I set the alarm to loud by 7:00 as per Gav's instruction (always wake him up an hour before his privilege termination time).

I settled at the couch while Mia made herself a comfy bed made of mattress and pillows.
We were in the middle of watching our favorite show when I felt sleepy and my eyes could not carry its own lid anymore.
I felt the couch move, maybe Mia changed her mind about sleeping in the mattress and decided to slump beside me. It felt warm and good so I let myself fall into sleep.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Begin Again - Taylor Swift
Also I used the title of the song for the chapter title.

What do you think? I know it's a bit short. But I really want to make an update. So I'll try and make it up on the next chapter.

Comment or vote! :)

Thanks

-Alex

P.S.
Check out my Tumblr site and see photos of my chosen actors/actresses for ML! (Updated: http://alexamerrick.tumblr.com/post/90855848755/main-characters-for-my-story-military-love-on)

I dedicate this chapter to the people in the plane that crashed earlier this morning (MH370). My prayers are for those people in that plane and their families/loved ones who just had their hearts broken. It is not too late to begin again...