32

It dawned on me on how many times I've been in and out these doors when the nurses all smile at me and a few call my name. I practically lived in the seats of Niall's room alongside his parents and occasionally a random visit from an old friend. His nurses became my friends and I knew their whole life story and then some.

"How is he, Reese." I ask emotionless to the doctor of four months.

Violet takes a seat wise Harry finds a blanket for Maura who is fast asleep on the couch in the room. He doesn't even have to ask, he's already rummaging in the closest where they keep everything.

"He's stable, as usual, with regular signs of his body healing, but just like I said yesterday and the day before, it's going slowly." Doctor Reese says sounding exhausted.

Not too long ago he had woken up for about ten minutes, the only ten minutes that I wasn't around for. But slowly and surely he would wake up for a little, blink a few times and fall back to sleep without saying a word.

"Esme, I thought you said you were skipping today's visit," Bobby whispers so Maura could sleep soundly. She was off schedule seeing as though she flew out from Ireland, but it worked in our favor so that she would take the night shift. "You have that big interview, right?"

"Yeah, for National Geographic's magazine. I just wanted to stop by, you know, in case he woke up longer than a couple of minutes this time." I say and when I hear my words it sounds silly. I was risking an important interview in hopes some guy that my feelings for were scattered around in my head, would awake.

"You know if that were to happen we'd call you immediately. But as of now, he's sleeping, and you're endangering yourself from a huge opportunity. I know if Niall could wake up and speak, he'd tell you to stop fucking around and go to your damn interview." He smiles and so do I. His vulgar language was always throwing me off.

"Thanks Bobby, I think I needed that," I laugh softly. "I'll be back after the interview."

"Of course hun, we'll be here as usual."

He gives me a hug as does Violet and Harry, all wishing me luck as I walked down the familiar hallway and to my car. I was nervous, of course. This was my absolute dream job; being allowed to travel the world taking photographs that would be used for the famous National Geographic magazine. Not to mention the pay was incredible, which just made me stress even more than usual. I loved my job at Vogue, but it never fully satisfied me.

My phone buzzes through out my car and I click answer to my best friend's name.

"So I'm at the new house and the painter asks me, blue or pink? And I'm like, how am I supposed to know, I literally just found out that I'm pregnant." Fin's exasperated voice booms in my car and I smile at her words. We were all glad for some good news of a baby joining our little group last month and I was overly excited to be an aunt.

"Tell me you're not painting it either of those colors no matter the gender. I think a nice yellow, maybe green would do?" I think aloud.

"Oh my god, this is why I love you, I was thinking a light green would do! I should've told him right away, I was just caught up in everything. I'm so excited to move back home and raise my baby where I grew up."

"Let's just hope it's a boy! I need more male around me." I hear Zayn yell.

"I too hope it's a boy. I want to be a proud aunt at soccer games and swimming tournaments."

"Hey Essie, Fin just went to throw up, how are ya?" Zayn's voice is more distinct now.

"Well, I'm on my way to that interview I'm scared shitless about."

"Oh damn, well, you'll kick ass, you always do."

"Yeah, but I'm not even sure if I want to take it or not. It's a whole year of me flying country to country, what if Niall doesn't get better by the time I have to leave? What if he does and I'll just be leaving him again."

"Esme Rose, you have no obligation to stay for Niall let alone visit him every single day, that's your choice. And it's your choice to follow your heart and do the job you've been babbling about since I met you! This is a time of new change for us all, Fin just got a job at Roosevelt Hospital, I'm hopefully getting that loan on the bar I dream of opening and we're moving back home for God sake! It's your turn to enjoy your life and not worry about everyone else."

"You're right..sort of. I just pulled in, I'll call you guys when I get back, tell Finny I said drink a lot of water and sleep!"

"Okay mother dearest, good luck."

"Thanks, fingers crossed!"

-

It was probably eleven at night by the time I got back to the hospital with bags of Shake Shack food. Oddly enough, this was my normal hour to actually get food in my body, seeing as though I was too busy being a worried mess 23 hours a day.

I was alone in Niall's room as I kicked off my crazy high heels and picked out my fries out of one of the bags.

"Esme?" A grumbly voice calls and I turn to see Niall struggling to sit up in his bed.

"Holy fuck," I whisper. "Stay there, I'm gonna get Doctor Reese!"

"No need, I've already seen him and he's already taken his tests and what not." He waves it off.

"Wait, so you've been awake already? I told Bobby to call me-!"

"And I told him not to. He said how you were at a big interview, and I told him to leave you be." He interrupts me as he scratches his head.

"Where are they now?" I ask, walking closer to him.

"Home. I told them get needed a real bed and that I'd be fine alone for once, but honestly, I just wanted to be alone with you." His eyes were so bright, something I hadn't seen in awhile.

"Me?", I question as though his words weren't clear. "Why me?"

"Because, when I first woke up I remembered my last thought before everything went black, and it was you. At that moment, I realized that all I needed in this world, is you. I am in love with you, Esme Harris."

(A/N: Awe, so romantical. Love hearing your feedback guys! ox, Dee)