Chapter 1 (edited)

Glass.

That is the only word I can think of to describe this humongous house I was currently standing in front of, it is three stories tall and is completely made out of windows.

From where I'm standing in the driveway I can completely see the whole layout of the living room and into part of the kitchen. I wouldn't doubt if every wall in this house was made of glass.

Everything inside seemed to be white and silver with hints of gold.

I suddenly felt self-conscious. As if my old flannel, ripped up jeans, and scuffed up Vans should be put to shame for even attempting to enter such a place.

Believe it or not, these are actually my nice clothes. Being the youngest of 4 boys and 2 girls being raised by a single mother meant I didn't have money to buy new clothes whenever I wanted, and my closet consisted of hand me downs.

This is also why I decided in my senior year of high school to apply at my school's skills center and take a pre-nursing class so I can begin working as soon as possible.

And lucky for me, I found a job posting shortly after I completed the program.

Now here I was a few days after I graduated starting the first day of my new job as a caregiver for this little kid.

With one last look at the house, I made my way towards the door.

After a couple of minutes, through the glass, I saw a woman making her way towards the big wooden french doors I was currently standing in front of.

Within seconds she was swinging the heavy door open, and my heart was pounding.

"Hello! You must be Ally! I'm Chloe." She said over enthusiastically while shaking my hand.

"It's Aaliyah actually." I sounded so timid and pathetic.

"Oh, I'm sorry honey! I have just been swamped lately. Which is why I am so glad you applied for the job the same day I posted it. I was so afraid it was going to take months before I found someone." She waved me inside as she continued rambling. "I was afraid that with planning my wedding and opening the new bakery that I wouldn't have had time to also deal with James."

She was walking really quickly so I hardly had time to take in the luxuriousness of the house.

She then slid a huge oak door open and revealed what looked to be her office. Right in the center was a big mahogany desk with a white fur rug covering every inch of the room. Three of the walls were made out of bookcases and the fourth wall in front of her desk was, surprise surprise, pure glass. 

The huge window displayed their backyard which seemed to go on for miles. In the distance, I can see what appears to be a tiny cottage and right in front of it is a huge Olympic sized pool filled with glistening water. To the left, there is a tennis court with a basketball court right next to it. To the right was a garage with a driveway that seemed to wrap around the side of the house towards what I assumed was the front driveway.

With me being in the midst of awe I almost missed Chloe calling my name.

"Sorry I was just.."

"It's okay I understand. Believe it or not, the first month of living here I was never able to simply walk by a window without staring outside for at least 5 minutes." She said with a soft giggle at the end.

"That must have been pretty hard considering how many windows there are." At that, she gave out a soft laugh and silently agreed.

She then walked behind her desk and sat down, I sat in the nice plush chair in front of her.