Diamonds & Pearls (12)-Unconfirmed Confirmations

Before You Read: Hey guys! Quick reminder here! If you're delaying a prayer right now to read this story, stop whatever you're doing and go pray! Don't let anything take you away from Allah. Especially not this story. Now if you're all prayed up, go ahead and enjoy this chapter.

It's been a while, enjoy!

CHAPTER TWELVE-Unconfirmed Confirmations

I sat in the car with Zayna as we made our way to her favorite restaurant. She'd said she wanted to treat me but I knew she probably wanted to talk more than anything. My cheek rested against the cold glass of the car window and I sighed, my breath fogging it. When we arrived at the restaurant, it was packed to the brim. Zayna looked highly disappointed by this. “Maybe we can go somewhere else.” She suggested with a frown. I shrugged indifferently. We began walking the streets of New York side by side.

“Zayna, can I ask you a favor.” I said softly. She turned to look at me with a nod.

“Sure, anything you need.” She said with a soft smile.

“Can you take me to the hospital.” I asked, biting my lip. Zayna looked kind of surprised by the question. “Please, I know Zayan won't take me to see Cole. It's not like I'm going to see him because I like him, I just...want to see with my own eyes that he's okay.” I finished, my voice ending in a whisper.

When I looked up at Zayna, she seemed to understand in a way I hadn't expected. “I'll take you but I won't lie to Ummi or Abi if they ask about it. Do you understand?” She said quietly. I nodded in response.

The hospital wasn't far, so instead of taking the car, we walked. “You sure you want to do this Leelah?” She asked with a frown. “I'm not so sure it's a good idea. He's a guy after all.”

“It's not like anything will happen. He is injured and in a hospital bed.” I said with a groan.

“Alright then,” Zayna said with a shrug.

By the time we got to Cole's room, my hands were sweating. I thought I was over this stupid fear of him but the almost painful butterflies in my stomach said other wise. No matter how I thought about it, Cole didn't seem like a person who changed easily. I was almost on the verge of turning away from the door but Marz opened it before I could fulfil my escape plan.

“Scarfy, you came.” Marz said with a small smile. “Dante isn't here and Cole is knocked out. You can go in and take a quick peek. I have to go home and take care of my sisters.” Marz said. He paused and suddenly looked like he'd said more than he would have liked.