Diamonds & Pearls (21)-We Are Never Alone

Previously: Diamonds & Pearls (20)-Ready For Battle

This was enough information for tonight. I couldn’t handle any more surprises. I already didn’t know what to do with what I’d already found in the past hour and a half. I had nowhere to go right now, no one to talk to about this. But then again there is only one whom I should be turning to.

 I got on my knees and raised my hands to the only one who could grant me anything I asked for. Oh Alllah, I need your guidance. I’m so lost right now. I whispered as my heart raced. I need you to make everything right for us after all of this is said and done. I know I can’t do this alone and without you, I am nothing. So oh Allah, I beg of you. Make this easy on me and protect Cole’s little brothers and sister. Lead him to a path that will bring him good and settle his heart. Lead him like you led his older brother before he passed away and returned to you. And please oh Allah; keep my family safe if nothing else. They don’t deserve the trouble that is coming.

 I put all of the sincerity I could muster into that du’aa. I think this must’ve been the hardest I’d ever prayed for anything. I’d had an extremely uneventful life up until I moved here. Now all I wanted was the average, carefree life I had before. I wouldn’t sit here and feel sorry for myself or blame God for my shortcomings. That kind of behavior was useless to a girl like me. Allah is the All-Wise and the All-Knowing. Now it is my job to have patience and endure the tests to come like I always have. I’ve never been let down before and Inshallah I won’t be this time.

Diamonds & Pearls

Before You Read: Hey guys! Quick reminder here! If you're delaying a prayer right now to read this story, stop whatever you're doing and go pray! Don't let anything take you away from Allah. Especially not this story. Now if you're all prayed up, go ahead and enjoy this chapter.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE-We Are Never Alone

It was a cold Saturday afternoon and for once, the sky was a magnificent shade of blue. The few white clouds I could see in between the trees were bright and contrasting beautifully with the sky. Owners walked their dogs, oblivious to anything but getting back to the warmth of their apartments. Couples sat together on the park benches sharing shy kisses. Children played with unrestrained laughter. Everyone seemed happy or at least a lot happier than I was. I don’t know if it was the weather or the coffee or something else, but everybody seemed so freaking ecstatic. Meanwhile…there is me; Daleela. I’m insignificant to these unusually happy people, you know, until they see me doing the crazy shiz that I’m doing right now.

I hid behind a wide tree trunk, my breath coming in short gasps. Why were they so intent on catching me? I peeked around the tree trunk timidly. I didn’t see my pursuers anywhere so I took off running. The people in the park looked at me like I was crazy. Is a girl taking an evening jog that weird? Okay, maybe a hijab-clad teen running like her life is on the line is deserving of a few stares. Ahead of me, I spotted a line of thick bushes. This was my only chance to hide. I ran, already lifting my jilbab just enough to jump.

I hopped over the bushes and ducked down. I tried really hard to breathe quietly but it is so difficult when you’ve been running for an hour straight. I peeked through the bushes carefully and that’s when I spotted Rafiq. He was looking around intently, trying to find me. I took a deep breath when he ran in the opposite direction of my hiding spot. I found myself grinning. Had I finally won this stupid training battle? But where was Cole? He’d disappeared completely and that was never good. He always made me fail.