Chapter Three

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Three

              Sleeping was always my favourite thing to do

Sleeping was always my favourite thing to do. I never have to worry about anything, and nothing can bother me. I rarely suffer nightmares, or even dreams for that matter. It's always just endless darkness and soundless noise.

I groan loudly when my slumber is disturbed by a buzzing sound. Whilst rubbing my eyes, I roll onto my side and reach out to the stand beside my bed for my phone. It's not an alarm, I know that for sure.

The room is still engulfed by darkness, thanks to me closing the curtains last night. My phone dimly lights the room as I unlock it read to the message I just received.

Dad:
You can't keep purposely avoiding Eliza and I for the rest of your life. All I wanted was to see how you are. I'll be back to visit next month. I made time out of my busy schedule to see you, but it was all for nothing again.

My eyes roll and I carelessly toss my phone back onto the bedside table.

Thankfully, detention occupied an hour of avoiding him, then William and I spent the rest of the day in the mall before my father gave up waiting for me to come home.

He never bought my excuses, he just gave up as usual when he got to the apartment to discover I wasn't there.

He tried to visit me with his girlfriend, Eliza, when I was in hospital after he was informed of me being there, since I was underage.

But, I never wanted to see my dad ever again after he became the man he is, all thanks to Eliza. He and I both changed after mom left. We dealt with it in different ways, and it's why I can't face him.

There's an achy hole in my chest at the memories of how close he and I were when I was a kid. He'd read to me every night, we'd go and get ice cream, he'd drive me to school everyday. He was my rock just as much as mom was.

Dad met Eliza almost two years after mom suddenly left. She'd somehow charmed him through his depressed state. She became a parasite for his money, and shifted our relation to negative.

She treated me more like a house maid her partner's daughter. She didn't like how I often visited Lacewood for William, she didn't like how close my dad and I were before her.

But I snapped was when I turned sixteen. The same year everything crumbled apart for me.

I had come home from William's basketball game, then had to make dinner for Dad and Eliza since she'd asked me too because he was busy with work, and she didn't want to bother.

What I didn't expect was my father to be blind drunk and to slap me in the face. It shattered me. Stole all the good memories of him from my mind and locked them away.