Chapter Forty Five

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Forty Five

M E A N I N G F U L M I S T A K E S Chapter Forty Five

Sometimes I wish I would wake and not know where I am. I could build the mystery instead of the panic jumping on my chest as if it were it's personal trampoline.

There's a pain in my head that throbs, a reminder of what I felt before I fainted. All the memories crash into me- the shady man, the panic I felt, knowing he is the reason my mother is dead.

Around me are hushed conversations, constant noises from machines, and the sharp needles that are attached to tubes are twisted all around me.

I nearly groan at the feel of the hospital bed beneath me. Ever since the ward, I have learned to hate the plastic mattresses.

Someone is running their fingers gently through my hair, from root to ends. Judging by the faint sound of their voice, it's a female.

The worst pain I am experiencing is the one in my chest. It vaguely reminds me of when my heart had gone into failure. Though, this is spread throughout and makes breathing rather difficult.

I try to peel my eyes open slowly, but I only force them apart enough to see. The lights are blinding, and the lids feel incredibly heavy.

No one in the room has noticed me yet. Across the private hospital suite is my dad sitting on a seat, his leg bouncing up and down while he talks with William's mom- Janet.

Glancing above me, I learn that the hand running through my hair belongs to Rose- Hunter's mom.

The ache in my chest becomes worse. This was something my own mother use to do when I was very little. Though, it feels very different with Rose. Her touch calms me, making me focus on her fingers that weave through my hair instead of pain.

Her eyes were trained to my dad when he talked, but one check down at me makes her eyes widen knowing I have woken up.

Both my dad and Janet stand once they see me- all three now swarming my bedside. Rose smiles and her hand moves to cup my cheek. "Hey," she says softly, "how are you feeling?"

I'm unable to nod since it stirs a fresh pain in my head, so I try to speak. I'm left adjusting to a scratchy and dry feeling within my throat. Nothing but air leaves my lips.

I swallow down my frustration. All the aches, memories, and knowledge of where I am has taken such a toll on me. So much that I can't speak. I need water.

"It's okay, Lolita, calm down. There's no need to worry." Janet now says and presses the button to call the doctor or nurse to the room. "We'll get you some water." I almost sigh in relief.

My stare weakly moves to dad, noticing the darkness under his eyes and state of distress. His hand reaches for mine, curling around my fingers to avoid the needle that is wedged into the back of my hand.