Chapter One

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter One

I can't help but feel so alone, yet so crowded in my life

I can't help but feel so alone, yet so crowded in my life. Even though I may be sitting by myself, there's invisible presences beside me that are judging my every move. They're staring at my food- pushing thoughts in my head.

I plop another pomegranate seed into my mouth and readjust my previous uncomfortable position I am sitting in, trying to escape my mind. I curse at the school's bleachers, yet again moving myself to get comfortable.

I look up from the book I am reading when the coach loudly blows his whistle, signalling the end of basketball training.

My best friend, William, jogs over to me, lathered in a layer of sweat. I grimace at his gross state, wanting to hold my nose when he was close enough so I could smell him.

Every girl at Lacewood High swoons over the blond that has been my best friend since first grade. His sandy hair, blue eyes, and athletic build sent girls over the edge. All except me.

Although he never pays attention to the girls who hike up their skirts when he's around, or adjust their chest, or fix their hair, or smile like a feline cat. He isn't attracted to any of them. Girls, he isn't fond of. I'm the only person he's told.

"Tell me again why couldn't basketball training be at lunch?" I groan out, putting the rest of my pomegranate into my bag. He made me wait around for an hour after school so the basketball team could practice, which normally takes place at lunch.

He laughs a little, using a towel to wipe away the sweat on his face. "The cheer squad threw a fit demanding they get the full court to practice today."

I roll my eyes, figuring it would be something Mia Vanderwal, the head cheerleader, would do. Typical from her.

A year ago the cheer squad wasn't like they are today, back when I had Mia and her friends in their places. That was before everything happened. Before everything sprung out of control like wildfire.

"Anyway, hurry up. Go shower and get dressed so we can go home." I push him towards the locker rooms. He laughs before running off. Gosh, I hate how sweaty the team get after training. Thank heavens they have showers here.

I close my book, also shoving it in my backpack. "Ah, Lolita!" I hear a familiar voice and fast footsteps approaching me. Faking a teasing smile, I look up at Jake, one of the guys on William's basketball team, and another close friend of ours. "I didn't know you were back to attending school so quickly."

"Maybe if opened your eyes, you'd realised that within the past week." He ruffles my hair with a small laugh, as I swat his hand away.

Jake and I have always gotten along really well, and we always find a way to tease each other. He hadn't visited me in the hospital. I don't blame him, it would've been too much effort to balance it with school.