Little Things

Lenny's POV
Lenny pushed his hands against the feeble cardboard box, the sound of rustling oozing out of the kitchen.

'Lenny why the hell do you have so many knives?"

Barry's rough voice echoed through the apartment, his feet shuffled around towers of cases and crates, all stacked to the brim with kitchenware and books.

The younger's cheeks curled upward as looked on his lover, clutching an old novel in his palm, 'I had no idea that you had such an affiliation with books babe?'

Lenny chuckled, humming as he shoved the last box through their front door.

The tape scratched as it was torn off, the inside complied of glass-encased photos, the West families smiling faces shining through the reflection of the white light above it. Lenny watched as his partner flinched, easing away from the box, his steps quiet and subtle.

The older pulled out the box underneath and began unpacking the multitude of blankets that lay shoved into the cardboard walls. He threw them onto the lounge as Barry mindlessly placed trinkets on the mantle. Lenny wandered over and slid his hands around his lover's waist, letting them rest together on the small of his partners back.

About a month ago, when Wally turned up near dead at his father's house, Lenny learned very quickly that his new boyfriend was prone to shutting his emotions out. He closed himself off and cut off all connections with his family.

Barry couldn't even look at an image of his family, let alone talk about it, but with such a cunning mind, Lenny eventually worked it all out.

His lover was stifled with pain, it enveloped him, but what hurt the most, was what was happening now. Wally was still recovering from near death, Iris declared war on Barry for his disregard of her relationship with Tom and Joe broke, his mind turning numb after his son was nearly murdered.

Lenny, over time, worked out that the best- the only way to comfort his boyfriend, was to hold him, just, be there. So that's exactly what he did, he worked Barry into little unknown habits; he always grabbed Lenny's hand when the agony became too compelling.

Lenny began to notice the subtle cues of his lovers torment and sometimes, he felt helpless, he wanted to take the pain away, to stop it, to destroy it, but he couldn't. All he could do was wait, that's what it said he looked up trauma, it said 'be patient,' but being patient was harder done than said.

Barry's POV

Barry lifted his lover's hands off his stomach and continued unpacking, motionlessly lifting books from the pile below him. Soon after, Cisco texted, wanting to meet for coffee at Jitters. Barry leant over his partner, placing his lips gently down as he inched away.

...

Cisco pursed his lips as he stared at his friend, 'I went to your apartment this morning Barry.'

'Hm?'

'Well, there was a for sale sign on the door Barry. You moved and you didn't tell me? You didn't tell Caitlin?'

Barry shrugged his shoulders, unfazed by his friend's interrogation. 'I needed a change. I didn't move far, just around the corner actually, this small place. It's cosy, you'd like it.'

Barry was attempting to divert Cisco's attention, hoping he wouldn't press any further. Luckily he dropped the subject and went on rabbling about all the new dates he'd been on, after Gypsy and him broke all up that time ago, it was only increasingly harder for him to move on, but finally, after Caitlin's persistence, he did.

'So, how are things in your love life Bear?'

Barry sighed, focusing his attention on his friends Ghostbusters shirt, he could not show any sign that he was in a relationship, and he had to remain hidden, hidden and safe.

Barry scrunched his face as he spoke, trying to convey disappointment, 'well, if you could find me one I'd be more than happy.'

Cisco chuckled as he sipped on his coffee, the black liquid swirling inside the mug. His eyes opened in curiosity as he examined his friend, 'What ever happened to your soulmate? You know, after all that stuff happened?'

Barry's cheeks flushed as he clenched his teeth, unsure of how to answer the question, he looked down in avoidance, only to find his shaking palms, terror spread across his face as he realised what was happening.

Barry's chest stung as his head began to throb, under his breath, he began counting, a technique Lenny taught him for when the world started spinning. His heavy gasps filled his mind; he tried focusing on the feeling of the seat underneath him, the familiarity of the solid metal stools.

'Barry! Barry what's wrong?!'

Cisco's strong hand drove into his friends shoulder as he drew Barry out of his panic.

'Barry?'

The hero nodded, unsure of how to explain his shock. Instead of staying and finding some way to articulate his affliction, he ran home.

Home to his lover.