Chapter 7.5

Hey, guys! It's me again and I just finished chapter 7. I know it's been a while, but here it is finally. I'm about to start my finals so I don't know when I'll update next, but I definitely will update again once more before the summer. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

They couldn't have driven for long when a bright neon sign peeked out from behind a block of standard grey buildings.

Josh and Andie leaned forward, realizing it was the vibrant, retro-looking sign of a local diner. The place stood out amongst all the other shops and businesses they'd seen on their journey back to Brayer, as it seemed to radiate its own personality and charm. Its chrome exterior reflected the sunlight and shined like a diamond. There were also thin neon glass lights lining the outside shape of the quaint restaurant.

Both hungry and tired, Josh wasted no time turning into the parking lot. He pulled into the first vacant spot he found and they both made their way inside, anticipating a delicious meal after such a draining day.

The floor inside was a grid of large stone squares, which alternated black and gray in a checkered pattern. As they looked around, they noticed an antique cash register, which seemed unused, and a low-hanging ceiling fan that simply collected dust. The rusted pipes from the radiator ran along the walls and disappeared into the floor, near a row of bar stools that had been neatly placed facing the unoccupied bar.

The diner was practically a hallway with booths lined against the wall, opposite the barstools. They were small, such that only two skinny people could fit on each side, unless they were exceedingly comfortable with each other. The booth tabletops were also small enough so that two people sitting across from each other were at a close, almost intimate conversational distance.

"Let's sit over there!" Andie blurted out before Josh even had fully scoped out the place, pointing at one of the booths. Immediately, she began walking towards the rear of the diner.

He followed suit, sliding into the stiff plastic seat across from her. It didn't take long until Andie eagerly started ruffling through the menu that had been placed on the table.

"So, uh... Interesting morning, huh?" Josh asked wearily in an attempt to make small talk.

However, it fell on deaf ears since Andie was excitedly scouring through the different meal options. Josh couldn't help but allow the slimmest smile to overtake his lips as she mumbled the names of foods she'd made a mental note of ordering.

"Tell me about it," she absentmindedly responded after a few seconds, not lifting her gaze. "Besides, I'm starving. I haven't eaten in like a day, so let's order right now."

Josh raised his eyebrows in surprise. He wondered why she hadn't mentioned this before, "Really?"

Andie firmly placed the menu down on the table with pent-up irritation. She looked up at Josh with a scowl that wasn't aimed at him, but rather was an outward manifestation of how rough the last couple of days had been for her.

"Really."

Her voice was sharp and dripping with contempt, "I fell asleep while texting you and I had a rude awakening this morning."

Josh simply nodded, showing her that he was listening and absorbing every detail as she vented.

"Then, I went downstairs to grab some food and there was literally nothing left there for me. Oh! To top it all off, I asked Courtney for a ride to school, and of course, we got pulled over."

"Wow, really?" Josh raised his brows in bewilderment before scoffing expectantly. "Why am I not surprised?"

"I know right?!" Andie's voice nearly squeaked from the momentary variance in her pitch. "And get this, she started flirting with the cop and he actually went along with it."