Chapter 7.3

Hey, guys! I'm really sorry I've gone M.I.A for like a month. I know I promised I'd update around New Years but my life got pretty hectic and I had to study I and you know I just couldn't really find any time to focus until now. So, here I am. I should be able to update more frequently until my exams start again but I promise chapter 7 will be finished before February ends. Anyway, hope you can all forgive me. Comment down below and don't forget to vote and add this story to your reading list if you enjoyed it!

Silence swallowed the air in the car. Josh tried focusing on the road while Andie absentmindedly glanced at the scenery outside. After a few minutes of driving in these conditions, Josh's mind began spinning in different directions.

The events that'd just transpired seemed to be put into the back burner as some thoughts were nagging him in the back of his head. Josh started reminiscing over his past mistakes in excruciating detail. He couldn't help but feel the guilt of his actions gnawing away at him. Gripping the wheel tighter, he silently cursed himself for making this so uncomfortable; this one thing that was supposed to make Andie relax.

Why do I keep creating drama every time I'm with her? Josh thought. I did that yesterday too... and I left. Why did I leave her? Why do I keep running away from my problems?

But enough was enough. This time Josh was gonna show he was capable of solving them.

His thoughts brimmed with apologies until he finally steeled himself and voiced his concerns.

"Hey, I'm sorry I left like that yesterday..." Josh said in atonement. His brow was furrowed in regret, yet his eyes were locked on the road ahead.

"Don't worry about it. It was a long day for everyone." Andie leniently replied. She pulled her focus away from her phone, which she'd been using until now to occupy her attention. "Besides, I owe you for bringing me home."

Josh immediately felt at ease. He hadn't realized how tense he was until he felt his muscles finally relax. However, his face was still painted with a burdened expression.

"You don't owe me anything."

Andie looked at him, perplexed at where this conversation could possibly be going. She couldn't take her eyes off of Josh; not out of admiration or affection this time, but out of inquisitiveness.

Josh could feel her stare boring a hole into his skull, and anxiously took a deep breath before continuing.

"If anything, I owe you more for putting up with me... I always leave when I'm needed the most."

Taking a few seconds to absorb his statement, Andie shifted her vision towards the rearview mirror. As the words finally sunk in, she could see Josh's eyes glazed over in remorse. He deviated his gaze from the road to the mirror, meeting Andie's for a brief moment before she pulled hers away.

Andie fell silent, not knowing exactly how to reply. Thoughts rushed through her head like debris in a swollen river; she could barely keep up.

I know exactly where this is going and I do NOT want to talk about this right now... Crap, I need to change the subject quick! Ugh... C'mon, Andie. Think! She urged herself.

"This is a seriously nice car!" the words tumbled out of her mouth clumsily as she tried to divert attention away from the topic to the best of her ability. "Wow, leather seats!" Andie awkwardly grazed her hand along the smooth material of her seat. "Are these organic?"

"What?" Josh started, his eyebrows knitted in confusion. Shortly after, the thought occurred to him that Andie was just tiptoeing around his statement. He decided to let it slide for now, as he didn't want to make her even more uncomfortable.