Chapter 3.1

Hey, guys!! Here is chapter 3. Hope you enjoy! Keep your positive thoughts and comments coming. Don't forget to vote and comment down below what you think of this chapter :))

Walking out the front door, Dakota shoved his hands in his pockets, feeling most of his body regret his choice of clothes. Wearing a trench coat in the middle of September wasn't exactly the brightest decision. It was for the sake of his inside joke, but next time he'd have to start putting his well-being first. Taking it off wasn't an option; the neighbors would be scandalized to see him walking around in just his boxers and a tie.

A warm breeze enveloped him as it blew across his face, suffocating him. Dakota grunted, fanning some air to his body with his trench coat, the resulting sensation not changing the slightest bit. As he tried to dismiss the distress he was experiencing, his friends' chatter grabbed his attention.

"I just can't believe my dimwit of a brother thought Josh was hiding under the covers," he heard Andie say.

Dakota laughed, turning around to join their conversation.

"Come on, it's Alec! He's one drumstick short of a jumbo bucket," he stated with a chuckle.

A fit of laughter soon followed his comment.

"One drumstick short? He's an empty bucket that someone puked in last minute," Andie snarled dryly.

"Guys, he's not that dumb! He's actually hella smart, like real talk. I remember this one time he solved a jigsaw puzzle in two months and in the box it said it could take two to four years," Courtney argued.

Her friends' eyes widened as they looked at each other with shame. Dakota laughed resoundingly.

"Shut yo wack ass up, Courtney!" He snapped back at her, "How do you even function? I'm surprised you've managed to breathe this long without forgetting."

Her friends erupted into a laughter again and Courtney's lips morphed into a scowl.

Imogen cleared her throat, crossing her arms as she shifted her weight from one leg to the other, "Actually, hate to break it to you guys, but what the box really said is that the puzzle was meant for toddlers."

"Whatever," Courtney muttered under her breath, shrugging it off.

"The puzzle was meant for toddlers..." Dakota mimicked in a squeaky voice, sending a death glare her way.

"Hey, it's the truth," Imogen protested, throwing her hands up in the air.

Dakota huffed, grunting irritatedly, "I just can't with this one!"

"Kota, how many times are we gonna have this discussion?" Andie spoke, mild annoyance laced in her voice, "She's one of us now. We're a foursome, and we stick together through thick and thin," she rested her hands on his shoulders, giving them a soft squeeze, "I don't care if you can't stand her sometimes over-the-top comments. We actually put up with your sour sense of humor 24/7, so deal with it."

"K, bye. You're being a bitch-and-a-half right now," Dakota fired back, his eyes darker than usual.

"Says who? Just because we're okay with you being a dick, doesn't mean I can't speak the truth," Andie protested, her words dripping with the venom of her anger.

Courtney smiled halfheartedly. She could feel the tension in the air starting to weigh upon her shoulders, and it made her very uncomfortable. Dakota and Andie both had very strong personalities, but never had they ever collided in that way.

"I think she has a point tho," Courtney added through gritted teeth, trying to soothe the heavy atmosphere.

A few seconds went by, but she didn't get a response. Courtney wasn't sure if she had projected her voice loud enough or if her friends had just ignored her.