Working With Wood's Work

Katy's POV:

So far the day has been pretty slow in class, which is good because I can't focus on anything for very long. I don't know what's up with me today but I really hope I'm not like this tomorrow. We're doing our first lab of the semester in chemistry tomorrow and if I'm not focused for that and end up doing poorly, it's not gonna go over well with my dad...at all. Thankfully it's lunch time. I don't have to worry about not being able to focus now.

"How's it going cuz?" Austin says coming up and wrapping his arm around me. "What did I tell you about calling me that at school?" I say tossing my books in my locker and closing it. "What? Is it a crime to let people know we're related? Besides I thought you were finally starting to like me over the break during the family Christmas party." Austin says. "We're not even blood related. Your mom married my uncle not long after my aunt died. And I only tolerated you during the party. There's a difference in liking someone and tolerating them." I say trying to walk past him to head to the courtyard, but of course he follows me.

"Is it suddenly a crime to wanna be closer to your cousin?" "Are we really still talking about this? I was hoping you would've taken a hint to shut up after I walked past you." I say. He jumps in front of me to prevent me from walking anywhere. "What the hell, Austin? Move!" "Why do you hate me so much?" "Do you want me to list all of the reasons? Because if so you better get comfy cause we're gonna be here the rest of the day." "Can you please just tell me already?" He says suddenly becoming impatient.

"You're an overconfident asshole that seems to think everything with a vagina automatically wants to sit on your dick the second they see you. Not to mention you break every girl's heart. Just because you're the main quarterback for Hester, doesn't mean you can go around treating girls like their your property." "Is that it?" Austin asks me. "That's basically the main reason since we don't have time to name all the rest." "Oh. I figured it was because of what happened that day with your dad." "Don't bring up that day, especially here!" I say getting closer to Austin now.

Sometimes Austin comes to help out at work, and one day he ended up walking in on my dad taking his anger out on me. For our machines, you have to punch in how much you need for everything and what they'll be stored in when you first turn them on. I had the right formula so the amount wasn't the problem. It was what I assigned the machines to store stuff in. We were making hydrofluoric acid, and my dumbass forgot that it can't be stored in glass bottles because it reacts with the silicates in glass.

Well that ended up turning into a big mess which set us back a day, schedule wise. My dad isn't one that understands screwups in our factory, especially one like that. He picked up one of the glass bottles that hadn't been used yet and smashed it on top of my head before punching me in my stomach. It caused me to lose my balance so I ended up landing on the broke pile of glass and getting some of the shards stuck in my hand.

He had Austin drive me to the emergency room so I could get stitches. I had to tell them that I dropped one of the bottles at work and slipped on the liquid part, causing me to land on the glass shards. Of course they believed me though. I'm known for "getting injured at work" and having to go to the emergency room because of it sometimes. My dad knows that people won't suspect he's causing the injuries when everyone in town loves him. Apparently he looks like a hero for sending me to get help over my injuries too.

"You know I would've helped you but there was no way in hell I was gonna interfere with that. No offense but I'd rather you be the one that has a bottle smashed over their head and takes a punch to the gut instead of me. That could give me a concussion and if that happened, I would've been out of football for a few weeks and our school would've been in jeopardy. I offered to call the police and tell the hospital what really happened though. Shouldn't that count for something?" Austin says.