blue-eyed bait

"Please ... stop ..." I groan, my eyes shut tight. Another punch rattles my torso, and I feel like throwing up. I'm tied up. My hands are bound behind the chair and my feet are tied to the legs. In front of me stands Ruby, and two of her evil demon sidekicks stand next to her.

"Come on, I know you know more about the Winchesters than you let on." Ruby says, hitting me in the face. She hits my lip, and I feel the skin break open on my teeth.

"I don't... I barely know them." I say, tears coming to my eyes.

Ruby laughs maniacally. "Please. I know you're Dean's new girl. Maybe you're not his girlfriend, but you're at least his new play thing."

"No, please ..." I mutter. "You've got it all wrong. There's nothing ... nothing." She hits me again and I shriek, my head flopping to the side. Dark spots are dancing in my eyes and I just want to close my eyes and lay down and sleep. That can't be a good thing.

"Nothing? I don't think it's nothing." Ruby laughs. I see her turn around, and see her mouth move as she talks to the others. My heart is racing so loud in my ears that I can't make out what she's saying. I watch as she circles back, standing right in front of me. I see her mouth moving, and can sense that she's yelling but I still can't hear her.

What is happening to me?

Am I okay?

Am I dying?

Why can't I hear?

Oh God, I'm about to pass out.

I blink a few times and see that Ruby has neared me again. She's saying something, but I can't even keep my eyes open to try and read her lips.

I feel something hard hit my head, and everything goes black again.

---

"Wake up, you stupid bitch!"

I spring up with a gasp as a barrel of cold water hits me in the face, waking me up.

Ruby stands right in front of me, a devilish look on her face.

"Morning, sunshine." She laughs. "Rumor has it the Winchester boys and their pet angel are on their way over right about now ... think it's as good a time as any to put you to some use." She yanks me up and I realize I'm no longer tied to the chair.

"What do you mean?" I ask, and Ruby rolls her eyes.

"Stop asking questions. God, I should cut out your tongue. Come on, Miss Edna, I have something for you to do." Ruby snaps. She grabs my arm and drags me outside, forcing me into another chair. Great.

She ties up my arms and ankles, then pushes my chair to the front of the steps of the porch we're situated on.

There's the sound of a car driving nearby, and it sounds familiar. It's the Impala.

Ruby disappears back into the house, and I struggle to move my arms and legs. I can't get them free.

The Impala pulls up in front of the cabin, and I watch as the Winchester brothers and Castiel get out.

"Eddie?" Dean calls out, clenching some sort of weapon in his grasp.

"Dean, no. It's a trap! Don't come near me!" I yell. I don't know what Ruby and her demons have planned, but it can't be good. For me or for the others.

"It's okay, Eddie. We've dealt with things like this before." Sam says as he walks beside his brother.

Dean carefully climbs up the stairs and reaches me. He gently sets his hand on my arm. "Listen, I know they have something planned here for us, but we can get through it." I feel the tug of a knife against the rope on my wrists as he frees me. "But the most important thing is knowing that you're safe." After he helps me out of the chair, he carefully inspects my face. "Are you okay?" He asks, seeing the bruises and cuts that have most likely formed.

I squeeze my eyes shut. "I've been better."

I hear him laugh slightly. "You're okay now." He turns back to look at his brother and the angel. "Okay Cas, get her out of here."

"What? Dean--"

"It's okay." He gives me a smile. "I'll see you in a bit. Sam and I just have some business to attend to."

"Okay."

"Come on, Eddie." I feel Castiel's hand on my shoulder, and then I'm suddenly in the hotel room again.

"What --?" I blink slowly and steady my shaky legs. I turn to the angel in surprise. "Castiel, Sam and Dean are going to need your help!"

"I have to stay and watch over you." The angel says.

"What? Why? I'm safe now, you got me away from the demons... now Sam and Dean are the ones in danger! Castiel, go help them!"

"I cannot leave you." Castiel responds. "After you were taken last time, Dean got very angry and told me I had to stay with you and make sure you were safe."

I raise an eyebrow. "Dean is that concerned with my safety?"

"Yes. He is very concerned with your safety." Castiel responds.

I frown and sit down on the bed. "Why? He should be concerned with getting rid of those demons. And that's where you're most useful right now. My safety is not as important."

"To Dean it is, Eddie. That should be fairly obvious."

I give Castiel a look. "No, sorry. Whatever reason you think there is isn't that obvious to me."

The angel frowns. "Well, I suppose that's not really my place to say anything. If anything from my time amongst the mortals has stuck in my mind, it's that humans don't like other humans meddling in personal affairs. I mean, Dean has observed to me that you have blue eyes, and he has acknowledged your blonde hair as well."

"Personal affairs? Cas --"

"You know, maybe you're right." The angel interrupts. He appears to be getting irritated. "I think I should help the brothers. I can still protect you while helping them."

"Yes, Castiel, that's exactly what --"

Before I can finish my sentence, the angel has already disappeared. I stand up from the bed and make sure the door is locked, then quickly dump some salt around the room like Dean had told me to do last time I was left alone. I then head to the bathroom to inspect the damage done to my face.

My left eye feels swollen, and the split in my lip stings like no tomorrow. As I turn on the light and look at myself in the mirror, I'm taken back.

That's me?

I look like I was run over by a pack of elephants.

Dean and Sam have got to have bandages somewhere.

I go back out into the room and look around. The boys don't really have much for belongings. I see a few backpacks and duffel bags thrown around the room, and that's it. I don't want to snoop around in the boys' stuff. That's just weird. I sigh and sit down on the edge of the bed, Dean's bed. I pull my legs up to my chest and rest my chin on top of my knees.

I just want to be home, back in my house, safe ... without any knowledge of this secret underworld ... and whatever it is that Sam and Dean do, because I'm not sure I completely understand it myself. I think about work, my school, my classes, my kids ... how many days have even passed? Have they gotten a good substitute? Oh God, I'm going to lose my job. I'm never going to get a teaching job again.

My life used to be so normal. Things will never be normal again. I'll never be normal again. I lay back on the bed, my eyes filling with tears. My face hurts, my body hurts, everything hurts.

I feel terrible, knowing Ruby used me as bait. She used me to bring Sam and Dean to her ... why would she do that? Why would they follow? What happens if they get hurt because of me? Or worse?

I couldn't handle that.

I just want to everything to go back to normal.

Okay! Another chapter in the books! Or book, haha :)
I'm gonna start asking questions in my author's note, so here's a question:
Who is your favorite of Dean's love interests from the show?
Leave me your responses and don't forget to vote!

Madi