back in black

We walk for about half an hour before a cabin becomes visible through the trees. My heart is racing, and I wish I was back at home, back at school, or heck, even back in the junky hotel room. Really, I'm wishing I could be anywhere but in front of a demon-filled, desolate, abandoned, very creepy cabin. "Dean..." I look at him, my heart thudding so fast and loud that I'm sure he can hear it. "I don't ... I don't want to do this. I don't want to go in there." I point.

Dean frowns, and I see what appears to be sympathy flash across his face. "It's okay, Eddie. I won't let anything happen to you. And neither will Cas." He looks to the angel. "Right, Cas?"

Castiel looks at me with a serious expression. "He's right, Eddie. We will protect you."

"What good am I anyways? I'm just a history teacher." I mutter, rubbing my forehead.

"You're not just a history teacher, Eddie. Don't limit yourself. You're a strong, brave, beautiful, intelligent, independent woman. I know you can do anything you set your mind to." Dean says in a soft voice as he looks me in the eyes, and I don't know if he means these things or if he's trying to keep me calm, but it calms me down and I nod.

"Okay." I sigh, my breath shaky.

"Okay?" He smiles and nods, then pats my shoulder gently. "Now, just go in there and act confident. I don't care how scared you are, but act like a hunter." He winks at me. "Act like Sam and I. Act like me."

"Act like you?" I laugh. "Dean, I don't think I can pull off 'asshole' that well."

He breaks into a smile and nudges me with his elbow. "And there you are. Back to normal."

"Is this what you consider to be normal? I'm terrified." I say.

"Well, you're making fun of me and calling me names, so I'd say that's normal for us." He grins. "Okay, Castiel. Please lead us in like the fearless leader you are."

Cas sighs and leads us up to the front door.

"Wait, why are we going right up front? Shouldn't we sneak in the back or something?" I ask Dean quietly.

Dean shakes his head. "Nah, they probably already know we're here. The least we can do is be somewhat polite." He chuckles.

Eventually we're standing on the porch, and then the door swings open.

"Hello, Dean." A brunette with a big smirk stands in front of the door, her arms crossed. I watch as Dean's face darkens in anger and wonder what exactly this woman, or demon, did to cross the Winchester brothers and their pet angel.

"Ruby! How terrible it is to see you. I thought I'd never have to be in the presence of such a bitch ever again!" Dean laughs in a fake polite voice. So much for 'The least we can do is be somewhat polite'.

Ruby laughs and shakes her head. "What, did you think you could just come and get your brother back?"

"Well, I was hoping, yes." He nods. "By the way, how did you get this body back? Pretty sure you should have lost it, you know, after we sent you to Hell."

Ruby laughs and shrugs. "When you're me, you have your ways to get what you want. I liked this body, and you know Sammy did too."

"Bitch." Dean frowns, glaring at her.

Ruby locks eyes on me, and I feel like I might poop my pants. But then I remember what Dean told me, so I adjust the gun in my hands and stand tall, then stare Ruby down as if I'm staring down an argumentative student who thinks that they don't deserve the D- that I gave them.

"Who are you?" She asks with a laugh, and walks over to me. I keep my calm, and keep my eyes locked on her's in what I hope to be an intimidating fashion. "Dean, who's this? Your new slut?"

I glare at her. How dare she call me a slut! Or Dean's anything! Before I can speak, Dean yells at her. "She's a friend, Ruby, and she's here to help us kick your ass and get Sam back.'

"She's here to kick my ass? I think not." Ruby snickers. I reach behind me, where Cas is standing, and slip my hand into his pocket. Ruby doesn't notice this, which makes me glad as I slip the vial from his pocket into my own. I'm not sure what's in it, but it must be useful. I feel an engraving on the bottle, and realize it's the shape of a cross. Is it holy water?

"I wouldn't underestimate her." Dean says, and I glance over at him. What is he doing? I sure as Hell WOULD underestimate me!

"What are you good for? You're pretty, sure, and I'm sure Dean likes that. But as I said before, what good could you be besides being a slut for Dean?" Ruby cackles, and I know she's just trying to get under my skin. I slip the cap off the vial and launch it in her direction, the fluid hitting her face.

"Jesus, Eddie!" Dean exclaims, stepping back as smoke starts to come from Ruby and she shrieks a bit.

"You!" Her eyes flash a different shade, startling me. "You bitch!" She announces. She starts to lunge at me, but Castiel interferes. I watch as he walks towards Ruby, his arm outstretched to grab her. But, before he can do anything, a black cloud of smoke comes out of Ruby's body, and then disappears into the sky, leaving her body slumped on the ground.

"What ... what just happened?" I ask, looking at Castiel for an explanation.

"She left before I could kill her." Cas frowns and shakes his head.

"You can kill her?" Dean and I both exclaim at the same time.

"Cas, I thought your powers were not as --" Dean starts.

"She's weak. Very weak." Castiel announces. "The holy water that Eddie launched on her did some pretty substantial damage. I think she thinks she can somehow use Sam to regain her energy."

"Sam!" Dean yells, remembering his little brother. "Sam!" He calls as he enters the house.

"Castiel, are there any other demons here?" I ask.

"No, Ruby was the only one." He says, and then we both enter the house after Dean.

"Dean!" I hear Sam's muffled voice call out from a back room, and Dean runs towards it, opening up a door to revealed a tied up Sam. Dean cuts him lose, and Sam stands, stretching his tall frame.

"What did she do to you? Did she -- did you two -- you know, like last time?" Dean asks.

"No!" Sam shudders. "God no, not ever again. She just tied me up and left me here. I think her goal was to lead you here ... I'm surprised she left without a fight."

"Me too." Castiel says, looking around. "I suspect she's got some alterior motive here."

"No way, a demon, hiding their true intentions?" Dean says sarcastically. "Come on, let's head back to the Impala."

The four of us begin walking back, when suddenly, there's a group of people, with eyes that flash black just like the demon I had seen before. "Dean?" I clench the gun he had given me.

"You thought this was over, Dean? You were wrong." I recognize the body of Ruby walking towards us once again, and before I can say or do anything more, I'm hit over the head, and ....

the ... world 

goes ...

black.

What happened? Hmm, keep reading to find out! Of course, I have to publish the next chapter ... which is coming soon!
- Madi