good morning, sunshine

There's a terrible pain on my left side, and I feel like I'm going to barf. My eyes are pressed so tightly closed, trying to block out any light that may make me want to open them. All I want to do is sleep.

I feel a gentle tugging on my hair, and realize someone is gently running their fingers through it.

"Eddie? Eddie ..." A soft murmur reaches my ear, a deep, soothing voice. It's comforting; familiar. It's lulling me out of my sleep.

My eyes slowly blink open, revealing a blurry ceiling. I recognize the soft blue paint, the glowing light fixture. It's the same sight I wake up to every morning. I'm in my bedroom.

"Eddie? Oh my God, you're awake!" I look over to see a man laying next to me in bed, and instantly recognize his green eyes.

"Dean?" I gasp. I realize I have no recollection of anything since Sam, Castiel and I entered the house and found Ruby standing over Dean's unmoving body. What happened after that? Why am I in so much pain? "You're okay?"

"I'm okay? Yes, I'm okay." Dean grins. "You're okay!" He leans down and presses his lips to mine. I lay still, shocked by his move. Suddenly, the memories all come back. Everything.

Ruby had called him my lover boy. I guess it's true. He does have feelings for me.

I slowly sit up and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me as we kiss. He slowly pulls away, resting his forehead on mine. "I thought ... I thought you were going to die." He says, gently setting his hand on the good side of my ribs. "I didn't know if Cas would be able to save you. I ... I had to save you."

"I thought you were dead because of me." I admit, looking up into his beautiful eyes.

"I'm right here." Dean murmurs, leaning down to kiss me again.

"Why are you kissing me?" I whisper as he pulls away.

"Well ..." Dean sits up, gently wrapping an arm around my waist. "You see, I've never been a one-woman man before. But, Eddie, I think I'd like to try with you."

I sigh and sit up, gently adjusting the pillow under my injured side. "You think you can handle me?"

"Oh, I know I can't." He snickers, then leans down to kiss me again.

|| three weeks later ||

I sit on my bed, typing away on my latest project. Sure, teaching has always been something I've enjoyed, but my true love? Writing. So, I've taken a leave of absence (with no intention of returning), and now, I've started writing a book. Something science fiction ... a little, dare I say ... supernatural.

My door swings open, and I see Dean walk in, two bottles of beer in his hands.

"Hey." I smile, looking up at him through my glasses.

"Hey." He sets the beer down on a coaster on my dresser, then leans down and kisses me on the forehead. "How's the tale going?"

"It's going good." I smile. It's loosely based on reality, but no one will ever know that. Three brothers, Dan, Steve, and Carlyle, travel around the world fighting monsters.

Like I said, loosely based on reality.

"How about ..." Dean slowly closes my laptop and sets it on my desk. He sets his beer away too, and joins me on the bed. "Instead of writing, we do something a little more ...exciting?"

"What did you have in mind, Winchester?" I say, raising my eyebrow at him.

"Oh, you know ..." He smirks.

I sigh and shake my head. "You boys are all the same." I say with a grin.

"We might be, around women like you." He grins.

I laugh and shake my head. "So, have you and Sam figured out what your next move will be, yet?"

"Well, we were thinking about sticking around a bit. That is, if you don't mind having a few boarders? There's a lot of demon activity around the area, so it's good to stay close." Dean says.

"No, I don't mind you guys sticking around, doofus." I smirk. "Then I just get more time with you."

Dean grins. "Many women would commit crimes to be in your position, Edna Mayville."

I scoff. "I doubt it. So, you're really sticking around?"

"For a bit, yeah. Til we find out how to stop the demons that seem to be loving it here." Dean sighs. He leans over and kisses me. "I'm glad we're sticking around for a bit." He murmurs.

"Me too." I say, smiling at him.

I don't know what the future holds for the two of us, but I don't care. After my brush with death, I've learned there is nothing more important than living in the moment.