Chapter Twenty Three-Falling Apart

"He's not home." I huffed pulling my black trench coat closer, trying to brace myself from the brisk air. Parker clenched his fist banging on the door one last time "it's freezing." The thoughts of cold weather disappeared when I saw the look on Parker's face, he would clearly never admit this but I knew seeing Nate's name on that file really shook him. They might not have gotten along all the time, but he was still his brother.

I thought for a moment and I knew Logan wouldn't be home for a while; the whole paramedic deal had him working long hours. I stood in front of Logan's front door and I pulled out one of my credit cards "What are you doing?" Parker took a step towards me, but before he or I could say another word the door popped open and I turned to him and smiled.

"I think the door was unlocked." I smirked and for a small moment a genuine smile appeared on his face.

He let out a small but hearty chuckle "I'm sure it was."

We soon walked into the warm embrace of the house and out of the brisk night air, "What exactly should we be looking for?" I asked as I traced my fingers along the wall of Logan's living room.

I could see Parker shrug at the corner of my eye "Anything weird, if he is involved in any of this he should have something that ties him to it."

"Wouldn't he hide anything like that if he was involved?" I knew Logan better than I knew most people and I just couldn't believe he had anything to do with this. I mean we don't even know what this is.

Parker had begun searching through draws and cabinets "People get slack when they think no one is after them."

"Well, what about N-" before I could finish that sentence I felt a hand lace around my mouth and another pull me to the ground.

I knew it was Parker by the scent of his cologne, but the sudden impact still made me jump "Someone's coming." He whispered into my ear and I felt the same panic that I had been accustomed to return to my body.

The shuffling of someone at the front door grew louder and when Parker and I realized we hadn't locked the door, I could tell that same panic ran through his veins. He soon mouth the words 'stay here'. Even though I knew the shelter from the couch would be enough to keep me out of sight I didn't feel safe here, not without Parker. Nonetheless, I stayed put and when Parker grasped his gun I knew it was definitely better for me to stay out of sight, at least for now. Parker stayed low, but moved closer to the shuffling near the door, it was silent for a moment, but if I moved the right way I could get a clear view of everything without putting myself in the crossfire. By now I was used to being in the line of fire but when it came to these situations you have to know when to hold back and when to fight. Right now I am sticking with holding back, considering Parker's spare gun was strapped to his ankle.

The silhouette of someone's shadowed peered around the corner of the hallway and I knew instantly that Parker had seen it. He maneuvered quickly until he was out of sight and conveniently placed in the perfect spot for a sneak attack. As the man appeared around the corner, I noticed he had a gun tightly gripped in his hand. Parker noticed this too because he used his elbow and knocking both his arms down, forcefully removing the gun from the man's grasp. Parker was quick he punched in square in the jaw, pushing the man back, slamming him into the opposite wall. At this point Parker has him pinned against the wall with his glock pressed against his throat, as soon as I knew he had him restraint I was off the floor, grasping the man's gun tightly in my grasp.

"Nate?" as soon as I could see Parker I knew who he had pinned against the wall.

Parker slammed him even harder against the wall, "What the hell are you doing here and why the hell do you have a gun?"