Chapter Fifteen-Hidden Behind a Mask

Chapter Fifteen-Hidden behind a mask.

I groaned and slid my back down the wall as I sat on the plush carpet of the changing rooms. The pile of dresses were just staring at me and I wanted to throw them all out of the nearest window. Whoever decided to do a masquerade ball was an idiot because, one I hate dresses and two I am pretty sure they hated me too. Especially ball gowns, they're so heavy and bulky.

I was currently sitting in a changing room in some ball gown store, Parker was across the street getting fitted for a tuxedo, guys have it so lucky, they just have to get a suit and they're good but with girls there has to be the dress, the shoes, the makeup and the hair. I groaned once again before I stood to my feet and walked out of the change rooms, I thought before I completely give up it was better that I at least had one more look. This shop was not your typical shop, it was so elegant. The gray plush carpet covered the entire store and the black and white themed decor made the antique look stand out.

"Alexis?" I froze and as soon as the voice boomed in my ears, I knew who it was and I just wanted to get sucked into the dresses in front of me. I knew I couldn't ignore her so I slowly turned around to see her and what surprised me was the look on her face, it wasn't disgusted or annoyed but happy, she looked genuinely happy.

"Hi Mrs Parker." I tried to sound happy. I was playing with my left hand when I realized I wasn't wearing the ring Melissa had lent me for the dinner. I had given it back to her just after Parker and I got back from staking out Allison's apartment. I shoved my hand into my pocket and hoped she wouldn't notice.

"Please, Alexis; I think it's time you called me Emily." She said in a sweet voice which knocked me back a bit. This woman didn't seem like the women that had been flat out rude to me when we had dinner.

I smiled in return not knowing how to respond to her kind gesture and then something occurred to me "What are you doing in Seattle?"

She gave me a confused look before continuing "Jake didn't tell you?"

I furrowed my eyebrows "Tell me what?"

"I live in Seattle." She beamed at me and I felt kind of stupid, I mean, if I was supposed to be Parker's fiancé then I should know trivial information such as where his mother lives.

I thought I better just go along with it, then give her a reason to question mine and Parker's relationship "Oh yes of course." I tried to sound as if I had heard this before and I hoped that I was pulling it off even though I had no clue if she was buying this or not.

"I think the real question is what you are doing in Seattle?"

I thought for a moment before I finally answered. "Just some work event." I really needed to work on my cover story.

"Looking for a dress?" she gestured towards the dresses I had been looking at. I had a hatred for those gowns.

I nodded and gave her a weak smile "Yes, Parker and I are going to a masquerade ball." I said truthfully, mainly because I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Would you like some help?" she once again had that kind voice and I felt a little uncomfortable about it, she was completely different to the last time I had seen her and I didn't know how to react to this version of her. Even though I had only met the woman once I had gotten used to the fact that Parker's mother wasn't exactly friendly.

Still, that didn't stop me from agreeing, I needed help with this and considering Parker probably wasn't an expert with dresses its better I get help from another source. I nodded and at that the smile grew on her face.