Chapter Seventeen-Giving and Taking

• Dedicated to That Happy Ever After

A song which I think suites this chapter :)

Thanks for reading.

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Seventeen-Giving and Taking

Alexis' POV

We waited as Allison left the ballroom. Even though it was barely a few minutes it felt like hours and the waiting plus what Jonathon has whispered to me just moments ago was really starting to get to me. As his lips pressed against my ear I felt a cold feeling spread through my body and when he whispered those few words I felt my whole body ache. His words made my skin crawl and-

"Are you ok?" I heard Parker's voice break through my thoughts; I noticed he had a drink in his hands and all I could think was I could probably use one right about now. I snapped my eyes towards him and nodded a little too quickly.

I let out a small cough "Yeah, I'm good."

His eyes fell onto something in the distance before he turned back to face me "Ok." He breathed as if to reassure me of something "Let's go, " he said quickly putting his glass on the tray of a nearby waiter.

We made our way through the oceans of people in suits and ball gowns; I swear you could get lost in this room. As if Parker had read my mind, he grasped my hand tightly and led me towards the door.

When we finally made our way through the people and out the door, Parker released my hand and I couldn't help the disappointment that coursed through me. I tried my best to ignore and focus on the task at hand. Allison had told us to meet her near the garden in the courtyard. Parker and I both walked towards where we had scheduled to meet only a few moments ago.

As we turned the corner of the massive courtyard, we came into view of the beautiful garden. It had everything from a crystal clear water fountain to beautifully cut hedges and massive red rose bushes that encircled the fountain, but the one thing it didn't have was Allison.

"Allison?" I called, hoping she was just staying out of sight in case someone she knew saw her, but of course no such luck, "Allison?!" I bit out a little too loudly.

"Damn it!" I heard Parker curse.

I looked at him and then around, "Are you kidding me?" I breathed out attempting not to get pissed off, which was creeping up on me.

"Of course she fucking screwed us over." Parker rubbed a hand along his jaw line in frustration. "Let's go." Parker looked at me then started walking. It honestly took a lot of what I had left to actually follow him

I soon joined him at his side; we walked in silence as we approached the double doors of the ballroom.

"Jake!" a shrill squeal emanated from a petite blonde woman, in a tight pink dress.

Parker looked like he tensed up almost immediately "Shit, " I heard him mutter before he turned to face the woman.

He ran a hand through his hair tussling it a bit and what surprised me even more was that the blonde lunged at him and attempted to kiss him.

"What the hell Nina?" he pushed her off and she pouted.

She composed herself "I heard you got engaged and I wanted to give you a celebratory kiss!" she chirped. Her voice sounded like nails on a chalk board and I was nowhere near a good enough mood to deal with people like her.

"You heard I was getting married so you try and kiss me?" Parker rolled his eyes and I had to bite back a smile.

As if just realizing I was here Nina looked at me "Is this her?" her voice was laced with bitterness.