Chapter Thirty One- Open doors

The envelope felt heavy in my hands and I didn't like the weight a small piece of paper could have on me. I keep thinking that maybe I was over thinking this, I mean Parker and I aren't even 'dating', so why would he care but then again what if he does. Parker aside, I don't know what I am suppose to do with this issue, but I know after all Parker has done for me, I really do need to talk to him about this and him alone. I had been sitting at the kitchen bench for most of the night, Parker had passed out on the couch a few hours ago and now I was just currently waiting for him to wake up. I have honestly considered just waking him up a few times, but after everything if anyone deserved sleep it was him. I finally moved from the bench taking a seat next to Parker's sleeping body and when he whispered. "What's wrong?" I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"I thought you were sleeping?" I turned towards him to find his eyes were still closed and for a split second I thought he was still sleeping.

That thought didn't last long once he spoke again "I can't sleep when you're worrying." His half asleep voice groaned and I had to admit my heart melted a little.

"I'm not worrying." I lied.

He finally opened his tired eyes and looked at me "You're a terrible liar." His eyes pierced through mine.

"Only to you." I almost whispered.

He let a half smile slip as he pushed himself off the couch so he was sitting up and facing me "You are lying then." He smirked and I finally took a seat next to him. I felt his warm arm pressed against mine and just his presence made me feel the slightest bit better but unfortunately not enough.

I look in a deep breath as I fidgeted with the envelope before slowly handing it to Parker "That day we took Tyler to see. The director." I slowly handed it to Parker. "This is why he asked me to stay back."

Parker grasped the envelope from my hand, pulling it out and grasping the white letter in one hand and with his free hand he rested his hand on my knee making my heart skip a beat only to be slightly broken once he removed it.

"London?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"As soon as possible."

"It's a great opportunity." He spoke with no conviction and the next few moments, surprised me. "I have to go." And with that he got off of the couch grasped a jacket and his keys and left.

I sat there frozen my heart completely shattered "I'm sorry. " I whispered, knowing my words were useless.

Five hours later

I had driven all over Washington searching for Parker but he was no where to be found and once I had finally returned to his apartment, I had hoped to find him laying back on the couch but unfortunately I had no such luck. At least that is what I thought until my phone had rung and when I saw Parker's name on the caller ID I was quick to answer the phone "Jake?" His first name fell from my lips in a panic.

He let out a muffled laugh "Jake? It sounds funny coming from your mouth." He slurred and that's when I knew he had been drinking.

"Where are you?" My voice became more panicked.

"I don't really know. Somewhere with booze."

"Where the hell are you?!" I barked I am not in a very pleasant mood so my patients was wearing thin right now.
He let out another muffled laugh "Alexis, I am a trained sniper and I have a lot of heavy duty training, a petite girl with green eyes doesn't exactly send chills up my spine well not when you have clothes on anyway."