Chapter 20: (5-8-2018)

Neema and Mwamba race across the fields of the pridelands heading for priderock. Mwamba glances over at Neema a small slight frown. "are you sure you should be getting involved in this? You are still injured you know."

Neema huffs smirking slightly. "you know I like a challenge."

"yeah but there is a limit you know." He replies. "you could get hurt again even worse."

"you worry too much." Neema replies with a smirk.

Mwamba slides in front of Neema making them both stop in their tracks. "I worry just the right amount thank you very much. I don't think your taking your injuries very seriously. Your health and survival depends on you being able to move."

"but that is what I have you for right?" Neema replies.

"what if I die?" he frowns back at her. "you keep throwing yourself into danger for these lions without thinking about yourself."

"I have thought of myself." Neema replies. "I simply can't stand by during a time of war. This type of thing affects us all no matter where we live. I would rather die fighting then to die having not tried to help."

After a slight pause Mwamba nods. "alright fair enough."

Behind them coming from the outlands the hyena pack stampedes its way through the fields. There is an upset of herds as they dash away screaming the outlanders are invading and trying to kill them.

"why you two standing around for?" Janja chuckles as he darts past towards priderock. "get a move on slow pokes."

Neema glances at Mwamba. "can this wait till after we get there?"

"Neema... please..." he begs.

"you're worried about me that's understandable. But right now we can't afford to let our feelings get in the way. We have to help out right now." She replies.

"you... you knew?" he stammers. "but then... why didn't you say anything!?"

"it was very obvious." She replies. "but I have other things to worry about I was going to just keep doing whatever I wanted until you finally had the nerve to tell me how you feel, but now isn't the time for this. We need to go."

"why are we running to priderock anyways?" he questions. "we have no actual confirmation that the leopards are even coming today let alone that they plan to attack."

"leopards, as you well know, don't just stroll into the pridelands to stare at the scenery Mwamba. There has to be something going on and it's up to all of us to protect the circle and the balance. At least until simba gets back on his feet."

"you're not much better off than he is!?" Mwamba replies. "what can you do that the king can't?"

Neema pauses for a moment. "I..."

"neema?!" the voice of Kion rings across the field as he and the guard hurry towards her. "what's up? Mzingo said that leopards were on the move in our territory."

"he isn't wrong but I think there might be more to it than that." Neema replies. She glances at Ono. "I know you've been looking since you heard. Let me guess you haven't seen anything?"

"nope nothing." Ono nods. "how'd you know?"

"because if leopards don't want to be seen then you won't see them no matter how keen your sight is." She replies.

"but then how did Nne and Tano see them?" Beshte says glancing quickly at Fuli and Bunga.

"that's just it." Neema replies. "I think they were meant to see the leopard." Neema replies. "to lead you off in the wrong direction."

"hevi kabisa!" [intense totally] Kion grumbles looking around. "and it worked too because we've been gone from pride rock since we were told about the leopards." He glances towards pride rock and then turns to the guard. "we need to get back and check on things. to the pridelands end!"

"lion guard defend!" they chime and the group starts rushing back to pride rock.

Neema and Mwamba hurry after them. "we'll talk about this later." He says keeping pace with Neema.

"yes, as soon as we get a moment we will talk about this." Neema replies.

-Earlier that day-

A thin sleek leopard skids to a halt in a clearing kicking up some dust.

"Tana." A voice says from the bushes before a thick male leopard appears. "how was your mission?"

"complete success in a way." Tana replies. "I wasn't spotted by the lion guard but some hyena were hiding nearby and they rushed off to spread the word as soon as they saw me." she smirks proudly. "it won't be long before the whole of the pridelands is in an uproar and the guard will have to leave the safety of pride rock to search for leopards."

"good work tana." He replies looking over his shoulder. "we'll move in from the eastern flank under cover of the groves we'll take pride rock by force and slaughter all who come between us and our goal. Jahari! Lead the distraction through the fields and cause as much noise and ruckus as you can."

"yes sir." Jahari nods and leads her team towards the pridelands.

"are you sure she is the right choice to lead the team." Tana pouts. "she couldn't even keep track of her own cub."

"don't talk about her like that!" the male growls fiercely at Tana. "it was the fault of the none fur two legged devils that our poor daughter was lost." He flicks his tail irritably. "you will do well to remember your place Tana, just because I was proud of you doesn't mean you have the right to bring that up!"

"sorry..." Tana frowns with her ears back. "I often forget the two of you were mates."

"the loss was hard on us both." He grumbles. "she took it worse than I did and because of that we couldn't stay together." He huffs and turns away. "but that doesn't matter now." He turns to his troops and flicks his tail again. "move out!"