Chapter 13: (9-28-2017)

"welcome all and thank you for attending this year's Savanna Summit." King Simba proudly announces the start of the gathering. "I trust there will not be any distasteful conduct this year." He glances at Twiga to let her know that he remembers last year's gathering in which she had convinced other animal leaders to drop the leader of the crocs, Makuu, into a pit of rotten fruit.

The three leaders ears fold back as they recognize what they did was wrong. They bow slightly to show they understand.

"Good. Then I believe we can begin..." before he can finish the introduction he notices Janja and Neema on approach. "oh good the outlanders are here. I was worried they wouldn't make it."

"Outlanders!?" Thurston roars kicking up dust. "King Simba that doesn't seem like a very good idea to me."

"I tend to agree with you on this one." Muhimu replies bitterly. "the hyena don't respect the circle of life. Outlanders can't be trusted."

The crowd begins a murmur as the animals all seem to agree that no outlander should be trusted.

"please everyone." Kovu pads up next to Simba and then gives Simba a glance. "allow me to address the herds."

"granted." Simba nods and allows Kovu to move on.

Kovu bows respectfully and then step forward. "Please listen. I know you all think Outlanders can't change... I came here to prove we aren't all that different. You won't know if the hyena have changed unless you give them a chance. We aren't that different at all if you think about it."

The murmurs die down as everyone listens to the outlander Kovu.

"we don't have to live in fear of one another if we can all get along." Simba points to Makuu. "you all remember last year when the Crocs began coming to the gathering. You didn't think you could trust him then but look how much better off the pridelands were last year. I believe we have a golden opportunity to forge peace through out two lands and maybe keep a better balance and avoid war in the future."

"we couldn't agree more Simba." Neema replies taking a place with Janja next to Makuu. "in fact it is our greater hope that we might be able to live harmoniously together rather than divided."

"I hope that for us all as well Neema." Simba nods. "since the representatives from the outlands are here now I see no reason why we can't begin our discussions."

The animals branch off in different ways to meet with their buddies and talk about the past season. Neema and Janja are left wondering where they should start.

"Janja?!" the voice of Kion drifts over to them as the lion guard make their way over to Neema and Janja.

"oh what now!?" Janja grumbles with his ears back. "I haven't even done anything this time!"

"what?" Kion raises an eyebrow to this before realizing that Janja thinks they are there to drive him away. "oh no! I am terribly sorry Janja I didn't mean to make it seem like we were after you. I actually was just surprised to see you here." He looks at Neema and bows slightly. "good to see you again Neema."

"like wise Prince Kion." Neema chuckles. "how goes things in the pridelands?"

"well a lot better since the fire. We owe you outlanders a thanks for assisting us with clean up. because of our efforts the grass has already begun to grow back and the herds were able to return to their normal grazing grounds." Kion replies then he glances over at Kovu who is busily talking to Makuu.

"I see the outlander lion is still here." Neema frowns. "what's his deal?"

"he claims to have abandoned the outlander tribe." Kion replies. "I can't say I blame him... from what I recall the place was pretty messed up. However, I still don't fully trust him." Kion frowns. "he's been spending an awful lot of time with my sister. I'm pretty sure he's up to something I just can't seem to figure out what." Kion glances at Janja. "Don't be fooled by the other herds Janja... they may act a bit distant to you but we are all very glad to see you here."