Chapter 4

(Neema was attacked by Banzai, Shinji, and Ed in the elephant graveyard. She was critically injured over the left front leg, but rafiki has helped to heal her. The guard is near the roots of the tree not inside it.)

Neema slowly regains her consciousness after fainting from her injury. She growls slightly in protest as moving her shoulder causes a jolt of pain through her entire body.

"she's awake." Ono says happily calling the other members of the lion guard to his side.

"Neema." Kion slides quickly across the ground and stops next to her. "are you alright? How do you feel?"

"been better." Neema groans opening her eyes slightly to see the lion guard. "everything is a little hazy did the gazelle make it home ok?"

"yes she did, thanks to you." Kion smiles slightly. "you fought bravely in the face of such terrible odds." He sits down and looks at ono. "ono told us all about the three hyenas you encountered in the graveyard." He frowns a bit. "unfortunately we're all too familiar with those three." He looks at his friends and then back to Neema. "those three used to follow my dad's uncle scar. When scar betrayed my grandfather he set those three hyenas after my dad. they're a lot trickier then Janja and his crew. This is why we try to stay out of the grave yard."

Neema forces herself onto her feet trying to keep pressure off her left front leg. "I'm just glad I could help."

"you did well." Simba says approaching rafiki's tree. "I must say I didn't expect to hear anyone had clashed with Shenzi and her followers, let alone it be you Neema."

"your majesty." Kion's friends all bow respectfully.

Neema attempts to bow with them but it strains her injury causing an annoyed growl to slip out. "sorry I keep forgetting I'm hurt."

"it's quite alright." Simba smiles. "it'd be best if you took it easy for a while until the injury heals."

"yes sir." Neema nods.

"dad." Kion steps forward. "why are you here?"

"Zazu saw you carrying your injured friend back here from the graveyard." Simba says sitting down. "I won't lie I was a little worried so I decided to come see for myself."

"thank you." Neema smiles a little.

"dad." Kion frowns slightly. "the ground bordering the elephant graveyard turned into a mudslide. We blocked it temporarily with logs but I'm sure it can only hold for so long, but at least no more animals will stumble over the edge at night."

"that's very good Kion." Simba nods. "I'll inform the hunting teams to be on the lookout for unstable ground around that area while they're hunting." He turns to Neema and smiles slightly. "you should be very proud of your skill fending off those hyenas by yourself."

"yeah!" Kion chimes in. "even I can't fight three by myself that well."

"this is not the place nor time for such excitement." Rafiki says waving them away. "can't you see how she struggles to sit up and speak? Go now and let her rest."

Simba chuckles. "same ol rafiki. I need to get back anyway. Rest well Neema." He bows slightly to rafiki and leaves the tree.

Kion frowns slightly lying his ears back. "I'm so sorry Neema... I didn't even notice the strain you were putting on yourself. Come on lion guard let's let Neema get some rest. We have a patrol to do." everyone but Ono follow Kion outside.

Ono frowns watching Neema as she lays back down. "I'm... so sorry..."

"why Ono?" Neema asks glancing at Ono from the floor. "it isn't your fault..."

"yes it is." Ono sighs. "if I hadn't distracted you instead of running away then you might not have been so badly hurt."

"I'm ok really." Neema smiles a little bit. "the most important part was getting the gazelle back home safely."

"to protect the circle of life... yeah." Ono frowns again. "I'm keenest of sight so I don't really help when it comes to fighting unless I'm needed to spot enemies. I'm sorry I got in the way."

"you aren't in the way Ono." Neema sighs. "you helped get the gazelle to safety and nobody got hurt."

"you got hurt." Ono says tilting his head slightly as if confused. "anyway... I have to go help the others." He looks up at the top of the tree and opens his wings. "I'll do better."

"it isn't your fault though." Neema calls after him as he leaves. She watches him go.

"the young don't know the difference between help and hurt if friends get hurt because of a particular act." Rafiki says looking at the sky. "you may not see it as hurt because in the end only you suffer from it." he glances at Neema. "but... to him the fact is you still are hurt and that he feels is his fault."

"I'm aware." Neema says resting her ears back on her head. "I told him I don't blame him."

"when one does not blame others, makes no difference if they blame themselves. What somebody is in their own eyes will always be how they feel." Rafiki walks over to a different area. "get some rest child. The more you rest the faster you'll get better."

"yes sir..." Neema mumbles closing her eyes.