Chapter 27.

Chapter 27 (ALREADY!!!)

I took a big breath before opening my mouth to let out my biggest secret to Aiden. A secret which had almost killed me emotionally, a secret which until now had been safely locked up at the back of my head. A secret which I was ashamed of.

“I was sixteen when it happened,” I whispered, snuggling closer to Aiden's chest. This was going to be a long story, might as well make myself comfier. “Sarah, Rosie and I used to be best friends. Almost as close as sisters. We did everything together; from waking up to sleeping in the same chambers at night, you name it. I guess, at one point we were so inseparable that everybody back at the kingdom believed that we were going to stay together for forever.

“Sarah was mum's maid's daughter, and when mum left us, Sara's mother was no use to the kingdom. But, because daddy knew how much Rosie and I both loved Sarah as our own, he gave Mrs Montague, Sarah's mum, an occupation as one of the many gardeners. So, through the years, Rosie and Sarah were the only ones who picked up the mess I was after mum's departure. They made me stronger. Dad was in his own world for a while after the incident, so he couldn't even look after himself, let alone me. With Sarah's and Rosie's help, I guess it made it easier for me to gradually ease the pain of mum's disappearance. They were with me 24/7. They never left me by myself. I had always been close to mum, and when she betrayed dad and I like that, she literally ripped me apart. At one point I hated her, but now, I realise that I'm no different from her at all,” I sobbed angrily. Even thinking about her made my blood boil. She wasn't my mother. She wasn't even worthy of the title. As far as I was concerned, I had a mum within my dad. She brought me up, at least unlike her, he wasn't a coward. He faced the reality, which she obviously didn't.

Aiden wiped the traitor tears off my eyes and pulled my lips to his, making me forget everything even if it was for a second only. “You are nothing like her,” he murmured in between the kiss, his voice full of promise and determination. I shook my head as more tears traveled down my cheeks and landed in between our gentle kiss, giving it a salty and yet a sweet texture.

“I'm exactly like her,” I replied pulling myself away from him. “You don't get it, do you? See, just like her I betrayed dad and the kingdom too. I just walked away from the reality and left dad by himself without telling him. He probably sees mum in my eyes now. I feel so horrible”

“You are anything but horrible Lau,” Aiden snapped roughly closing the distance I had made in between us. “But, can I just ask why you actually moved away from the kingdom?”

I sucked in a breath; could I tell him? Oh Gosh, just imagine how embarrassing it would be? He would think I was completely desperate! What kind of princess ran away from her people just to find a suitable man? No princess. Just me. I had abandoned my country, my family and everybody who had counted on me for selfishness. Just so I could find a bloody man.

“I-I don't want you to be disappointed in me,” I answered unable to meet his piercing gaze. His purple eyes always made me forget about the everything; its almost as if they took me to a different world. To Aiden Carter's world.