Chapter 23.

Chapter 23

Washing my thick red hair underneath the shower, I let the cold Texas water erode away all the nostalgia of my heart. My eye fluttered open in the pouring water, burning as a few drops entered my cornea.

Aiden.

One word. One man. That's all it took for 23 years of secure barrier to break down. How, I was still unsure. I knew Aiden didn't share the same feelings towards me. Who would? What man would be prepared to give up their life to live a life without any privacy? What man would happily walk into a stricture of a kingdom to lead a massive country like England. No man. Especially Aiden Carter. He was a happy player, his head layered with unnecessary ego and arrogance. And I, I was an insecure, frigid girl with no ego whatsoever. There was no way that I could even visualise Aiden and I together. Not only would it be wrong and juvenile but also heartbreaking. The more I thought of him as a prominent figure in my life, the more in love I fell. And, to be honest, I couldn't afford that. Yes, I had promised dad that I would only return to England after having found a man whom I wanted to spend my life with, but that man couldn't be Aiden, as much as I wanted it to be, it was impossible. Aiden Carter would never share my feelings. Pigs would have to fly first. Fat chance.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

"Ooh, check out the hottie," whistled Rosie winking at me across the room. I had just finished my shower and had gotten ready into my PJ: which consisted of a  strap  vest and a short shorts, it reached just above my knees. I wasn't dressed inappropriate, was I? Ah well, it was a boiling in here, so it was either wearing this or possibly getting myself roasted again.

"Talking about yourself again, so cocky Rose," I chuckled pointing my index finger at her. Rosie fanned herself as I took my place next to an available seat near her. "Dayum woman, what did that shower do to you. You look hot!"

I scrunched up my nose, creating a frown on her forehead. "Hot? But I took a cold shower."

Suddenly, both Rosie and Sarah burst out laughing. "You idiot Lau. I meant you look hot as in sexy, attractive, appealing, and every other damn synonyms."

Oh. Well, how was I meant to know. Back in the castle, I wasn't used to people being sarcastic or speaking indirectly. "Ew, thanks."

Sarah mock gasped. "Not 'Ew' Lau. More like, 'I know I look sexy, so thanks.'"

"I'm not sexy!" I retorted feeling a blush appear on my face again. Dammit, its situation like this when I wished I had an olive skin. At least the stupid blush would be hidden.

“I beg to differ,” spoke Zach's voice from the landing. I looked at him and gave my most evil look. I hated it when people called me “hot” or “sexy”. As a child, I had always felt insecure about my looks. And it didn't help the fact that I was a princess, because I always automatically assumed that people called me beautiful because of my position. Became I was the princess, their future queen. Also, having no mother didn't help the situation either. Unlike all the other young girls, I had no mother to do my hair every night before bed and tell me I was beautiful. Instead, my mother had done a runner. God knows where she was now. Perhaps she was alive, perhaps dead. At the moment, I really couldn't be bothered to even think about a selfish person like my mother.

“I second that.” This time, it was Aiden's voice. I didn't even need to turn around to face him to know his voice. Even from across the distance, he could make my heart beat faster than normal. And even with those simple three words, he could cause goose bumps to layer all across my skin. What was this boy doing to me. I wanted him so badly that it actually hurt to even think about a life excluding him. I know that a person like myself could never even stand a chance of being with someone like Aiden Carter, but what could I say? All is fair in love and war.