(9 - 🎆)

"I'm sorry to say, Mrs. Vin. Lilac has only until tomorrow to live. We estimate the death time to be around dawn. Would you like to request a room in here?"

Mom puts a hand over her mouth and cried. I stopped smiling and blinked hard then answered. "We won't, Doctor. Thank you for everything."

The doctor only nodded. I help my mom stand up and went to our car. I let her seat in the back and I drove us back home. My grip on the wheel tightened as mom's sobs got louder. We didn't say anything the whole ride. I let mom sleep in her room as we got home. She needs the rest. I trudged to my room and sat on the bed.

I wanted to scream. Seeing mom hurt because of me just hurts. I grab my pillows and threw them on the floor. I lean back on the bed and squeezed my hair. It reminds me of my check-up on Christmas Eve.

-

"Miss Vin?" the nurse called

I stand up, with mom, and entered the doctor's room. We sat. The doctor said. "I'm just going to confirm something. Miss Vin, you went here a day after vomiting blood? Days before that, you didn't feel anything?"

"Yes, I did went here a day after. No, it was on the day I puked that I felt sick."

"Hmm. Miss Vin, we have found out your diagnosis is Melanoma."

Mom asks. "What is it?"

He nodded "Melanoma is a type of cancer from melanocytes." mom gasps and I shut my eyes. "It usually affects the skin but there are rare cases like your daughter that it damages the intestines."

Cancer. I shakily asked. "Can it be cured?"

"If it were presented earlier, yes. But, the cancer cells are too rapid now to kill. We can slow them down but that'll only give you an extension of a week tops."

Mom stares at the doctor. "Extension?"

"With how far the Melanoma is, Miss Vin has until Christmas to live. Will you consent us to slow down her cancer cells?"

Mom quickly stand up. "Yes, I will."

The doctor got out another batch of papers and I tuned out. Only one sentence in my mind, 'Miss Vin has until Christmas to live.'

-

My phone started ringing, I picked it up. "Hello?"

"You okay? You sound glum."

No, I'm not. "I am. Did you need anything?"

"Right. I wanted to ask why you didn't come for the party yesterday. You also didn't pick up my calls."

"I was busy, didn't got to celebrate."

"Ah. By the way, heard you got into Victoria, congrats."

"You, Dale?"

"Me and Mandy are going to Yale. Dune is going to Harvard."

"Hmm, congratulations too."

"Are you sure you're okay, Lil?"

I squeeze my eyes shut. "I am, Dale. Is that all?"

"No! I don't think you're fine. So, I have something to tell you that'll cheer you up!"

"What is it?"

"Dune loves you."

My eyes open and stared at the ceiling. "You sure?"

"I've been the witness of this relationship from the start. Why would I lie?"

"Okay." I smile "Thank you. Bye."

Dale laughs. "You're welcome. Bye."

I drop the phone on the bed and wiped away the tears. I need to discuss with mom what's going to happen to my inheritance. It shouldn't go to waste.

--

Mom grasped onto my arms after we finished the talk of inheritance. "Lilac, this may sound selfish, but I will sleep with you tonight."

She sobs dryly. "Please."

I hug her. "It's not selfish, ma, and it's okay."

"But it pierces my heart that you are in my arms but you're actually not."

"I'm still here, ma."

--

I look at my phone's clock. 20:40. I kiss the bundle of letters in my hand before walking out and putting it in the mailbox. Even if Dune were to see this, I know he won't read it. He's just not Dune but, I'll still put it here. No hope, just farewells. I go back to my room and lay beside mom. She hugs me tight and kisses my forehead. "Goodbye, Lilac."

"Goodbye, mommy."

***

●︿●

The part with Jay in the story will be next. I hope you enjoyed the novel version as well as the letter format. ~